96 Caldina 4x4 clutch change-

ontwowheels, Mar 11, 5:22am
x1
Do I need to remove the engine to do this job! Is there anything I need to do at the same time, carhas 215k on the clock, Cambelt was done at 180.
Only ever done clutches on my old commy's, east west engines and 4x4's are reasonably unfamiliar to me

intrade, Mar 11, 5:29am
dont know cant see a 4x4 on autodata what engine has it got and have you got a frame number as caldina are carina.

intrade, Mar 11, 5:30am
at a guess i would say you wont need to remove engine autodata shows 9.1 houres work for gearbox and thats a non 4x4

_peas, Mar 11, 5:45am
From what I have heard if you have the facilities then its easiest to remove engine.4x4 Caldinas are very common. esp in manual.

ontwowheels, Mar 11, 7:07am
Model E-ST195G-DWMGK-S
FRAME ST195-5029368
ENGINE 3SFE
cheers
hoping not to have to pull engine, have axle stands, trolley jacks and an engine hoist.
Can possibly use a 4 point or drive on hoist.
bloody cars. 2 of them and they both need work

phillip.weston, Mar 11, 8:53am
unfortunately you have to pull the engine and box out as one, it's best to drop them out from the bottom also.

kaymay88, Mar 11, 9:04am
uggh id be tempted to sell it. I did a clutch on a 98 caldina 4wd about three months ago. did it on the floor. prick of a job. if keeping the engine in, slide the gearbox off, but dont bother droppng it completely out, you have enough roon if you remove the suspension tower to manouver around and do your thing.

I had a c*nt of a time getting the right parts from BNT though, they cocked up 5 times, and that was with me taking the old ones in, before they got the right stuff.

ontwowheels, Mar 11, 9:05am
haha, yip know to have heaps of plasters on hand! I am not sure if I can get on a hoist or not, if I can of course I will use it. The one I normally have definite access to is out of action. From what has been said if I get on a hoist I will drop the engine. If I have to do it at home, I think I will try o do it in situ. Thanks for everyones advice. PS was in Thames on the weekend, my home town :-) Parents still live there.

ontwowheels, Mar 11, 9:07am
only just bought it!
I will be buying parts through partsmaster. Have never had a problem with them.

twink19, Mar 11, 9:13am
last one we did was $1800 on a 4wd

ontwowheels, Mar 11, 9:21am
F4CK!
clutch $258
Flywheel machining: doz brewskies ( know somebody )
My time, free.
sundries $50-100.
bugger paying 1800!
I am thinking about doing cambelt and waterpump at the same time.

ontwowheels, Mar 20, 8:55am
fark! so I have spent all day today on this and the engine isnt out!
It is loose, ie everything is disconnected but I cant see how I am supposed to get it out. The end of the transfer case hits on the power steering rack, and the side of the gearbox hits on the battery shelf. Has anyone taken one of these out before, and how did you go about it!
Thanks

bigfatmat1, Mar 20, 9:01am
I am about to do a 4wd carib clutch hope its not a mungral like yours.
I think you take engine and box out from underneath.

ginga4lyfe, Mar 20, 9:03am
out the bottom, I hope you have space to push the car back, what i like to do is put the engine on the floor, lift the car over and back away from the the engine, then lift up the engine to work on it, then reverse of that to install the engine and box, I had to do Similar on a MR2

ontwowheels, Mar 20, 9:07am
shit I was hoping to get it out the top. It looks like If i can get the transfer case off, then the engine and box ill come out the top. really wish I still had a hoist to use, I am too far through to turn back now. It could be a long day tomorrow. BUGGER. should have researched this before I bought the car. BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER.

ginga4lyfe, Mar 20, 9:09am
eh, Leased you will enjoy the car THAT MUCH more after the job is done!

ontwowheels, Mar 20, 7:04pm
mellisa2000 wrote:
Sh1 t mate, I hope Sundaygoes better. Used those plasters yet!
Fish.[/quote
Thanks I am about to get into it so will let you know how I go.

zephyrheaven, Mar 20, 7:39pm
Cant remember the last one I did but I remember taking the transfer case off possibly to make it easier!

twink19, Mar 21, 12:07am
you have to take the transfer case off

ontwowheels, Mar 21, 8:59pm
x1
well, a day and a half to get the bloody engine out. had to take transfer case and gearbox off simultaneously and drop them out the bottom then take the engine out the top. Have to put it all back together in two weekends time. bloody nightmare job! and yes Fish, I have used the plasters now! 2 x skinned knuckles. Now I just have to get the right clutch, and get my flywheel machined before sticking it all back in (like a jigsaw puzzle). Good times.

for_an_angel, Aug 11, 6:09pm
x1
Last two I did I left the transfer box in place still bolted to engine (had to make special bent 17mm spanner for that) and droped the gear box mount and x member plus mounts then droped the box out the bottom but as fish says hoist is a must and 8hrs is the time it took me too.