Sluggish and not idling smoothly since cambelt

poohbearfan3, Mar 17, 10:16pm
I had my cambelt changed two weeks ago and since then my car doesn't really seem to be the same.I'm sure it's a big sluggish, hasn't got as much power and doesn't seem to be idling as smoothly as it was, as well as being a bit louder in the engine.
Any suggestions!The water pump etc was all done at the same time.
Oh and it's an Impreza.

phillip.weston, Mar 17, 10:21pm
they've cocked up the cam timing - it's probably one tooth out. I've just picked up a Mirage V6 with a faulty cam sensor and when I went to replace it I found that one of the four cams was out one tooth, and the cam belt had been done 30,000kms previous, so who knows how it ran from then til now - however it ran before, I'm sure it will run much better now the cam timing is spot on.

johnf_456, Mar 17, 10:25pm
Why not take it back to who did it and ask, they did the work so they honor issues if it was not done right. With no cost to you.

poohbearfan3, Mar 17, 11:04pm
I've already taken it back once, and whilst it's better, I don't have a lot of faith in taking it back a second time!
I thought I could get someone like Home Tune out, but they want to do a full service, and I've just done a service so don't need to pay for another one just to get the timing right.

intrade, Mar 17, 11:12pm
secca2 r what ever his nick name is could fix it. my guess is also 1 tooth wrong somwhere.

mugenb20b, Mar 17, 11:27pm
Unfortunately, secca2's membership has been disabled a long time ago.

poohbearfan3, Mar 18, 1:21am
Any other ideas on who could sort it!I don't want to pay for a service for it when I've already just had one done (which is basically what Home Tune are suggesting).
If it's one tooth that's out, is it a biggy for them to fix!

pettal, Mar 18, 2:19am
Check the sparkplugs are all in their holes tight , they could of been trying to find TDCand not tighted every thing up again .

johnf_456, Mar 18, 3:16am
Disputes tribunal.

1fordluva, Mar 18, 3:18am
did you have it done at wingers!
Or just a local mechanic!

twink19, Mar 18, 3:22am
home tune, I dont think so

franc123, Jul 31, 11:47am
If your engine is a quad cam one I'd put money on that they've timed one of the LH cams wrong, its easy enough to do as the timing marks on the sprockets don't align perfectly, they are like that from factory and if you don't take note of where they are exactly prior to taking the belt off, it doesn't look right when the new belt is fitted.This is especially so if a non genuine timing belt is used, the genuine Subaru ones are marked so that there is no confusion.To confirm it would be a case of taking the LH belt cover off and getting someone who knows quad cam EJ's to confirm whether it is right or not, will only take a few minutes to check.If it is wrong basically the front of the engine has to come apart again and the tensioner removed and the belt installed correctly, which should of course be done at the original repairers cost.Of course you should contact them with your findings and give them the opportunity to do it properly.Good luck.