CAMBELT on VW Golf

cookie9, Mar 17, 9:35am
Has any had their cambelt done on their golf and how much did it cost!

Mine will be due in around 10000km and just getting an idea what prices are out there (as not to be ripped off or know that I have a good deal)

Would you take it to a VW dealership (find they are so much more expensive than other places)

phillip.weston, Mar 17, 9:36am
what year, what engine!

carmedic, Mar 17, 9:39am
36 years of manufacture I??

cookie9, Mar 17, 9:45am
2000 - 2lt

phillip.weston, Mar 17, 9:58am
You're so right, how could I be so silly!!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 17, 10:22am
Hi poster,
That motor is a really simple one to do from memory. I would suggest any competent general garage should be able to cope with it just fine.

Give Qualitat a call in Auckland for a quote on genuine parts and also on labour. Even though they are far away there labour charge is very competitive so it gives you a benchmark for comparison.

Also, I would strongly suggest you do tensioners and a waterpump while you are on the go so its all done properly and sorted. Make sure genuine parts are used as there is some nasty chinese stuff around and genuine bits if ordered from Qualitat etc are very reasonable.

Best of luck

Oh one more thing remember with timing belts its a certain amount of kms or a certain age whichever comes FIRST. Off hand I think its only 4 or 5 years with that motor between changes so check on that if you havn't accounted for the age of the belt.

cookie9, Mar 17, 10:26am
thank you for that - we got our Honda done last year and got the water pump etc. done at the same time - only cost like $70 more.

Will look into the place you suggested as a bench mark figure - thanks

thejazzpianoma, Mar 17, 10:29am
Your welcome, just note I made an edit on the above post regarding the age of the belt, Pretty important stuff if you havn't considered it.

intrade, Mar 17, 7:38pm
http://www.teilesuche24.de/parts_images!id=211006&view=T0145 Motor Code: APK, AQY, AZJ, AZG these have waterpump as part of the timing belt. www.carjam.co.nz will show what engine number yours has.

twink19, Mar 17, 9:03pm
make sure that the tensioner bolt is replaced, I have seen two brake, that havent been replaced

trading_gibsons, Mar 17, 11:03pm
Okay guys could you tell me if this is a rip ff then,I just got my car, a Toyota Eunous serviced & the mechanic said I would need to have the cambeltdone & he priced it around $800 & $1200 with extras.

intrade, Mar 17, 11:14pm
post year of carmake model what engine number etc
www.carjam.co.nz will tell or the plate under the bonnet
i only know of a mazda eunos not toyota my self.

trading_gibsons, Mar 17, 11:19pm
Sorry very brain dead just done 26hrs in two days with only 7hrs sleep,the eunous was my last car it's a Toyota Ipsum

intrade, Mar 17, 11:20pm
what engine number!

trading_gibsons, Mar 17, 11:24pm
Hope I'm giving you the right number
3S-FE 1998

for_an_angel, Mar 17, 11:46pm
Bang on Intrade. 3 hours will be more then enough to fit up a belt and water pump to an Ipsum but depending on the KM's it may require a oil pump seal and gasket this adds a bit more time and $35 to the price also allow $60 for coolant

phillip.weston, Mar 18, 12:01am
damn right on the oil pump seal, they always seem to leak. You can get them from ACL for about $3 each.

trading_gibsons, Mar 18, 12:56am
Thanks everyone for the info, I appreciate it.

franc123, Jul 31, 6:42pm
a $1200 estimate for doing a timing belt job on a 3S!Whoever said that must think the engine has to come out to do it.Half of that should cover it easily.