Indicators going a bit weird.how bad is it?

drommy, Jan 28, 10:21pm
So I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to cars.I don't know the terminology so bear with me!

Yesterday I was driving my car (a Nissan bluebird) and the indicators went a bit dodgy.For the last couple of weeks they haven't always automatically switched off after a corner - sometimes they do but sometimes the 'stick' that you turn them on with does a weird ticking sound(the lights aren't flashing though).Usually, I give the stick a jiggle and it stops.But yesterday it wouldn't stop and then there was a tiny tendril of smoke coming out of it.I went straight home and am going to get it seen to.

The problem is, I'm going camping next week so desperately need my car by Saturday.Also I don't have a limitless supply of money - am I going to be poor after this!The car is running as well as it usually is, I'm hoping it's a quick and easy fix.

Can anyone provide any reassurance!!Obviously I'll be taking it to a mechanic tomorrow but any comments will make interesting reading!

owene, Jan 28, 11:02pm
That little tendril of smoke suggests that the smoke has escaped out of some of the wires. You'll need to firstly find out where the hole in the insulation is and then get the smoke put back in prior to sealing the hole.

Then you'll need to establish what caused the smoke to escape, ie are there any excessive loads being placed upon the smoke directors, and of course double check that the appropriate fuse is installed on that circuit.

Might also help if you clarified what you mean by "indicators went a bit dodgy."

In fact, the whole episode sounds very dodgy and I wouldn't use the vehicle until it's been fixed as you may have more tenrils of smoke which may involve the entire system. Yes, very dodgy indeed.

kazbanz, Jan 28, 11:57pm
Drommy-DON'T take the car to a mechanic take it to an auto electrician

mugenb20b, Jan 29, 12:05am
As funny as it sounds, that pretty much sums it up.

Once the above is done, only then you'll know the cost of repairs.

mugenb20b, Jan 29, 12:08am
What stops!

gammelvind, Jan 29, 12:31am
The smoke of course!

drommy, Jan 29, 1:36am
All is fine - got AA out to have a look at it and they gave good advice.I'm booking it in to get looked at early this week and AA'll tow it there.Thanks for your help!

owene, Jan 29, 1:59am
Might we ask what was the advice!

rpvr, Jan 29, 3:24am
From my experience with the AA, their advice would have been to get it towed to someone who knows what they are doing. That's about the extent of AA knowhow.

illusion_, Jan 29, 3:34am
*nods*

good advice, that

dent, Jan 29, 4:19am
where was the smoke comming from! Sounds like indicator switch is worn and needs cleaning or replacing. Not uncommon on the nissans.

woody1946, Jan 29, 6:25am
Was it going --smoke---no smoke---smoke---no smoke --smoke---no smoke---smoke---no smoke---smoke---no smoke, or just continual smoke !

pup2, Jan 29, 6:52am
Picking the contacts are dirty. Was the sound like a load buzzing noise.

owene, Jan 29, 7:05am
It will have been tendril - nothing - tendril - nothing - tendril - nothing. Jeez I'd love to see a video of it all.