Just drove a 911 Turbo and Lotus Exige.

timmo1, Feb 2, 3:16am
My girlfriend bought me a couple of those 'FreemanX' supercar experiences which I used today at Hampton downs- Well worth it if you getthem on special.

They pin the braking points and speeds way back for the corners, but even so they were both very impressive cars (even in the wet).

911- Just masses of torque and power and those brakes! Wow. Feels like you could drive it everyday too.
Exige- Beautiful steering and a tight little chassis, felt more special to drive than the 911 turbo but would be a weekend car rather than a daily driver.

:)

fiatracer, Feb 2, 3:24am
cool!I drove the Exige last month - very disappointing lack of oomph until the variable cam timing kicks in [at spot on 6000rpm] then it goes great ! Would definitely be fun to push harder than they allow. I have driven their Gallardo, and last month their Ferrari 360 too:-)oh, and 911 turbo on other occasions, not their one though.

fiatracer, Feb 2, 3:25am
that Exige is almost as good as an mx5. I say so, because I have actually *driven* both.heh.

wrong2, Feb 2, 3:27am
must have been a special MX5 then :-)

fiatracer, Feb 2, 3:28am
nah, just a standard one LOL

aaaactually. I reckon mine would be close behind that Exige on the track. Certainly it does well in track days against elises, even the supercharged Honda Vtec ones.

timmo1, Feb 2, 3:32am
Yeah have to agree about the Exige and the speeds they made you corner at meant there was a bit of waiting until the revs came back up. I think once you were up past 6K and were able to keep it there (i.e. driving in anger) it would be great.

The Porsche was just power/torque everywhere.man, what a grunter that engine is!

Both cars were far less daunting than I thought they might be to be honest.

fiatracer, Feb 2, 3:35am
love the Elise/Exige but my size rules me out! Getting in and out was hard, and I couldn't heel/toe because the bottom of the wheel was on my thighs, so I couldn't raise my leg to roll my ankle. Kind of killed the monentum.

timmo1, Feb 2, 3:42am
Yeah it was a perfect fit for me- I had my small shoes on but the instructor recommended taking them off altogether so I did- No troubles heel-toeing :)

rlr29, Feb 2, 7:32am
Do they still expect.you to give it assholes on the first lap!It's quite uncomfortable trying to steer and thrash the shit out of an expensive car you've never driven before.

timmo1, Feb 2, 8:02am
No, if anything it's the opposite- If you spin or ignore the instructor, it's all over.

The instructors seemed pretty good at sensing how comfortable you were in the car/on the track though

foxdonut, Feb 2, 8:03am
Funny how they're "over rated" and "Too expensive" until you've driven one huh.

Would you still rather have some rattly used Japanese box with thousands of dollars dumped into it, or would you just go out and buy a 911 and save yourself the hassle.

;P

fordcrzy, Feb 2, 8:56am
mx's are pretty good.just watch this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=_B_EfFsAPxI

kcf, Feb 2, 6:56pm
I don't think I could take having to drive really slowly around the corners . because going around corners is the *fun* bit :-)

I know why they have the rules in place, but I'd rather spend my money on something where I can go fast on the bendy bits.

timmo1, Feb 2, 8:44pm
Im very happy with my MX5 :) Handling is what makes a car fun. I;ve had powerful cars and while it is nice to have it, it does get more boring as time goes on.

My car with a bit more power would be perfect :)

fiatracer, Feb 2, 9:49pm
boy have I an offer for you. NA MX5, NZ new, genuine 110,000km from new, caged, seats, harnesses, big brakes, uprated springs, shocks and swaybars, LSD, fresh WOF, last dyno runs indicated c. 235bhp. not being used enough currently, needs loving new owner.

foxdonut, Feb 2, 9:54pm
Yes, its called a 911 carrera

gtcorty, Feb 2, 10:09pm
how much to do this.

timmo1, Feb 2, 11:13pm
Find me one for 10 grand and you have a deal ;)

timmo1, Feb 2, 11:31pm
Depends what you drive but a couple of hundred at full price- They often have deals though.

fiatracer, Feb 2, 11:42pm
We got the Exige drive for 149 + insurance of 40/50. Then on the day they had some spare goes in the Ferrari and Gallrdo @ 99 for 2 laps.

you need to get on their email list via freemanX.co.nz and they email deals out.

timmo1, Feb 2, 11:50pm
Yeah they charge an optional $45 insurance excess cover meaning you won't have to pay their $4000 excess if you prang etc.

I didn't pay it. I doubt you'd get close to loosing it unless you were a complete muppet.

timmo1, Feb 2, 11:51pm
Hmm just returned from overseas so no money + no job at the moment :( I did, however, get a newer NB RS '5 on my return to NZ.sorted the important things first eh ;)

esprit, Feb 3, 12:48am
Bear in mind that Lotuses aren't especially quick unless you're REALLY on it AND know how to drive. Such is the characteristic of having a car that handles well and has modest power, you need a lot of skill and bravery to actually get the most out of it. With a more "point and shoot" car like a Corvette, it's easier to make it go quick so long as you're able to get your foot down.

I've been to many a Lotus club trackday in my old Elise with 118bhp and was able to clean drive past cars with over double the power just because their pilots had not a clue how to drive them. Mind you, I've now got a rather more special Exige that would show most things a clean pair of heels on the track. no variable cam timing or boost required :)