Personalised plates ins and outs

mk3zephyr, Feb 3, 8:17pm
Anyone know anything about personalised plates!
have had the run around and am getting a tad fed up, Sold a car that still had my plates on it, car went to a museum, car was bought on the spur of the moment on a Sunday, No places open here on a sunday to change plates so thought i had lost them. So i still own entitlement according to personalised plates, lincesys and on road nz, Went to get some new ones remade so i can put them on another vehicle in my name as like i said the plates are dead for the vehicle they were on as its a museum piece now. Licencesys are now saying the plates that are to be remade have to go back on the vehicle i sold, seems rather odd to me, now personalised plates, licencesys and nz onroad have no idea how the hell to go about it, anyone have this sort of issue before!

jkm, Feb 3, 8:20pm
Just guessing but would think the museum car will have to be deregisterd to release the plates!

mrysone, Feb 3, 8:32pm
needs to be deregistered then will be released-

socram, Feb 3, 8:35pm
Easy to be wise after the event I suppose, as I always remove thepersonalised plates as soon as I decide to sell!Technically, yes you own the plates and yes, you simply fill in the paperwork, go and get the new plates and deliver them to the seller and remove your personalised plates.(I can't remember whether or not you have to show the PPs to the post office or VTNZ or whoever.)
Whether the car is in a museum or not is irrelevant and if they refuse you access you can probably get the plates remade claiming they have been stolen, but you make sure the buyers have the newly issued plates.
If you never made it clear to them that the PPs weren't part of the deal, then you may have an issue!

mk3zephyr, Feb 3, 10:09pm
the car is deregistered, certificate of entitlement to the plates is still in my name.