Boat buying

haventrader, Feb 5, 5:35am
If you buy a boat privately, and the trailer has never been registered (or so the seller claims), what proof is there that he actually owns the boat! Pulled out of a deal yesterday as the seller (amongst other things) refused to provide any ID and did not know the first thing about the boat he was selling!

jmma, Feb 5, 5:36am
Sounds like you did the right thing.

savier07, Feb 5, 5:53am
phone the police and ask if they have any stolen boats listed that match the description of the boat you were interested in . it may or may not be stolen and if it is I bet the rightful owner wants it back . I think if you contact the water police they have a list of all stolen boats

haventrader, Feb 5, 6:45am
Yep, he took great offence because I asked if I could site his Driver's Licence. As much as I wanted that boat, I'd hate to lose the money I paid and the boat in the event it was stolen. If someone walks away from a deal (cash!) just because he has to show some ID makes you wonder!

gedo1, Feb 6, 12:27am
Give us details of the boat. type, brand, size, motor, and anything else that might help identify it. There have been people on here who have asked for help in finding their stolen (or at least misplaced) boats.

xs1100, Feb 6, 3:05am
report the whole deal to the police or even better put some details on fishing.net.nztheres a few guys who lose their boats on there and they would love to take the culprits fishing

elect70, Feb 6, 3:53am
Definatelyfishy

i-n-horz, Feb 6, 4:02am
Glad you didn't take the bait.sounds like he tried to hook you into a bad deal.get on the line and notify the cod opps! plod.when all is said and done you'll be happy that one got away ;)

haventrader, Feb 6, 4:46am
Love it.
Yes, fishy alright. Watch for the guy who won't reveal his name! (or address, or ID, or even his own car- he rents one instead!)

gedo1, Feb 6, 6:50am
I repeat my earlier post.identify as much as possible,,,,,,,,!

shane.64, Feb 6, 9:30am
The stupid thing about a boat trailer is if you take off the light board with the plates and wof on it and stick it onanother trailer it becomes yours ! Theres no vin plate on the trailer or boat !

mugenb20b, Feb 6, 6:35pm
Correct. Similar thing happened to me once when I did a wof check on a 6 x 4 trailer. I passed it. Then the owner comes back with the same trailer but different number plate.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 6, 8:05pm