Zephyr caravan floor replacement Q's

howgoodisit, Feb 6, 12:34pm
The floor is sagging on all 4 corners and the front of the caravan has started digging into the draw bar about 20mm. so sagging 30mm or so.

Is the only way to replace the floor on these things to take the body off!
Have just stripped it out and looking for the best way to do it.

net_oz, Feb 6, 4:26pm
Sounds like it will make a good chook house.

NZTools, Feb 6, 6:12pm
caravan derby time.

golem, Feb 7, 3:33am

cuda.340, Feb 7, 7:46am
i had a Crusader that sounds like your Zephyr, if you want to do it properly then yes it needs to be pulled apart. if she's just going to be a park-up like my Crusader just jack up the corners & weld in some braces. i did a full interior of my Crusader, they're come apart real easy but you'd need a few blokes to hold bits as you disassemble.

howgoodisit, Feb 9, 10:52am
Pretty much stripped now, just a shell.
Yep im going to add some steel braces on the chaises to make it not sag again.
I have plenty of jacks, clamps and bracing timber to help me hold things.
love these projects, stimulates the mind : )

Its going to be the ultimate movable lounge, no junk kitchen etc just plush couches and a 32inch LCD, beer fridge and solar to power it all : )

cuda.340, Feb 9, 8:09pm
thats pretty much what i did to my Crusader. no beds just an L shaped couch & a breakfast bar. i cut out 2 side windows & made them into one huge window that matches the one at the end. to top it off i installed a heat pump so it never gets hot inside whilst we're sinking coldies. good luck on your project.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 9:52pm
Nicely done!

richynuts, Feb 10, 11:06pm
When caravans are built, the firststep is chassis and floor, then fit all your furniture, then walls which already have plywood glued to framing, the walls are positioned into place and stapled/srewed to furnture and floor is (always good to have a few pieces of tall furniture like wardrobes etc), then the roof trusses, then all your wiring is done, after that isulate with polysterene, then all your aluminium panels.

richynuts, Feb 10, 11:23pm
When I see caravans stripped out you often see all the sides bulge and ripple as the furniture and plywood is what keeps the walls straight, best to take walls down and start fresh but do not use mdf/customwood for your new furniture as it is way too heavy for you old caravan, rebuild the furniture as it originally made (timber frame and ply) adds alot of work and more time but is a must,mdf would add 500kgs and has to be balanced out so restricts your design layout,also may have to change you springs or even strengthen the chassis When you rebuildgood idea to add a shower/toilet and make it 4 berth this will add alot of value but still need to alter chassis to take water and waste tanks.

richynuts, Feb 10, 11:27pm
sounds good just make your couches. sofa beds and still include a sink only add value if you decide to sell.

howgoodisit, Feb 11, 6:59am
Thanks for all your advice,
Ive got it sussed how to redo the sagged floor bits now, ive got the timber now to re frame it, using H4 so will not rot like the old stuff if it gets a leak.

I never build projects with the sole intention of resale value, i already have a motorhome with full facilities so i have no need for them.
This is just an extra lounge, there will be a fold out couch so you can sleep in it.
Around here gigs are usually at remote bars, you can drive it out and sleep outside the bar so no drink driving. the only facilities you need is sounds, TV, beer fridge. : )

cuda.340, Feb 11, 9:38pm
this is a pic of the couch i made for my caravan. it's made from MDF but the caravan is a permanent parker so it's not going anywhere,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/caravan1.jpg/

richynuts, Feb 11, 10:24pm
Good job!

shane191, Feb 12, 9:03am
someone told me not to use treated timber as it can corrode the alloy sheeting.

pdc1, Feb 12, 9:20am
Agreed.

howgoodisit, Feb 13, 1:06am
There will be no more nails separating the aluminium from the timber.
Still think it will be an issue!