Nissan to join V8 Supercars

Page 2 / 4
bill-robinson, Feb 9, 1:37am
not when the word parity is used with regard to the cars.Just think about the meaning of the word then what motor rsacing is about. It will become clear to you.

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 1:38am
New Nissan Altima to be released in OZ end this year, or Infinity G3.

rob_rooster, Feb 9, 2:09am
After twenty years of boring taxi racing finally some light at the end of the tunnel!
They should race with a GTR but that would make all the Ford and Holden knuckledraggers furious!

serf407, Feb 9, 2:12am
This the media blurb from the COTF last year.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx

They probably should have a ballast system like the WTCC for the race winners. Not many win races continuously under that system as their car gets heavier. Ballast for the sprint races and open for the endurance races.

audi_s_ate, Feb 9, 2:20am
They should just name it nascar and be done with it.

gman35, Feb 9, 2:22am
Yep , I agree with all you have said so far , and also have no idea why this form of "motor racing" is as popular as it is. It's not even as if "your favourite brand" is remotely like what you can buy or drive on the road compared to the group A days.

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 2:23am
Hmmm 2 door V6 auto, pretty sure the rules of the class say 4 door V8.

Oh before you say "how boring, lots of look-a-like taxis, why not let in a "real" car". They don't have to, the V8Supercar format and business has been and still is a huge success so they (Tony Cochrane) can do what they like.

gman35, Feb 9, 2:24am
Exactly , is "unfair" for the superior cars obviously , but at least we would be watching different looking / different engined cars !

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 2:27am
I don't recall being able to walk in to a Ford dealer in '90 - '92 and buying a stripped out Seirra RS500 with 900hp (DJR Shell qualifying engines) that i can drive on the road.

How is / was GRP A different to today in that regard!

gman35, Feb 9, 2:32am
The cars look alike as sheep ,and the fans seem to flock to it the same , so why then not just watch the "pinnacle" which is F1 where they also look the same / similar speed over the field , yet faster !. And yet I bet the supercar fans think F1 is boring !

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 2:35am
Yep, i do.

gman35, Feb 9, 2:40am
Body was exactly the same right down to the spoiler dimensions , engine was exactly the same block/turbo etc , and from memory the wheels had to be within similar dimensions to original , door trims inside etc etc.

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 2:50am
"fibreglass attachments such as front splitter, rear bumper and rear wing"

"Wet sump & modified M24 turbo"

"17 x 8 inch BBS wheels initially and later in their development used 17 x 9 inch 5 spoked specially constructed Dymag magnesium alloy wheels"

"Exactly" you say!

pollymay, Feb 9, 2:51am
I think most racing on TV is boring. I only really get into the Otago classic rallies and 2wds they show on the NZ rally stages. V8 supercars are ok but there isn't that much that changes. They all follow the same lines, pitstops are nothing near real world that you can relate to with the centrelock wheels and special fuel couplings. They are not even based on the same chassis as a real car. It's like how NASCAR in the US is so stupid, used to be a manufacturer proving ground. Revving the nuts off an engine for 3 hours without it failing probably meant it was better than some of the other junk on the market, now it's just specially built everything going fast and turning left which is well, pointless

gman35, Feb 9, 3:02am
You know your stuff , the dimensions at least of body and spoilers etc should be identical though, but as just a more casual observer I'm not sure of the materials used sorry . But I certainly think an unpainted Sierra or Commodore Grp A car would sit amongst a showroom of roadcars somewhat closer than a current Supercar.

bill-robinson, Feb 9, 3:17am
attitudedesignz wrote:
I don't recall being able to walk in to a Ford dealer in '90 - '92 and buying a stripped out Seirra RS500 with 900hp (DJR Shell qualifying engines) that i can drive on the road.
You could certainly walk into a ford dealer in the UK and order a bare sierra shell.They were reasonably priced as well.

bill-robinson, Feb 9, 3:18am
so do I

bubbles244, Feb 9, 3:44am
Any one here actually read the new regulations!

It'll be the same chassi as the fords and holdens just different skin, the parity is for the motor's the team can either choose to use the standard issue v8 that is given to them to use or they can provide there own from there team manufacturer which is then place into parity.

and knowing nissan I'd go with the higher reving quad cam too.

bubbles244, Feb 9, 3:44am
Any one here actually read the new regulations!

It'll be the same chassi as the fords and holdens just different skin, the parity is for the motor's the team can either choose to use the standard issue v8 that is given to them to use or they can provide there own from there team manufacturer which is then place into parity.

and knowing nissan I'd go with the higher reving VK quad cam too. from there already successful GT cars in japan. they reckon that motor without its limiters is good for 790, which is around what the v8SC's are outputting now

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 4:12am
Fair call.

hi-ling, Feb 9, 4:24am
Yep but dont forget the V8SC's are limited

foxdonut, Feb 9, 5:59am
V8SC is 660HP

They won't waste money building a motor, there's no point when they can get a crate motor thats up to spec. Nissan entering V8SC is about selling units, not about building new engines to prove they can build a race car.

gman35, Feb 9, 9:15am
The other thing that is pointless about racing cars that are not at all close to their road-going equivalents is that there will never be another really desirable "future classic" like the Falcon GTHO , Holden Monaro/Torana , Sierra Cosworth etc until you actually see something like the current road models on the track again. All collectible cars either have some kind of closely related racing history / are expensive exotics / or great shaped sports cars. Most people cant relate the supercars at all to what they can buy , because they are so far removed.

richardmayes, Feb 9, 9:32am
Amen.

And yet, there seems to be a revolving door of people queueing up to drop $100k on the latest HSV / FPV that will be worth nothing in 15-20 years.

Why would Fordor Holdin care about making "future classics", when what they are already doing is getting them plenty of sales right now from people who like V8s!

gman35, Feb 9, 9:49am
I know , it won't happen , Who by the way is buying all these 100k fast v8 cars anyway ! , is it actually people buying them privately , or just the companies chequebooks for the exec's/owners ! Because last time I looked petrol wasn'tgetting any cheaper , and the speed limits are watched ever more closely. They seem ever more irrelevent in todays life yet I see so many > 6.2l cars around being used for seemingly everyday transport , what do you mean there's a "recession" !