Motoring legal question

pete_iam, Feb 11, 4:55am
is it an offence in nz to leave your car running with keys in it while you go in a shop or whatever! i know it is where i come from in europe

kazbanz, Feb 11, 5:02am
nope --illegal no --stupid -YES

pete_iam, Feb 11, 5:10am
well it is an offence because a child could get in and drive away and kill someone. or it gives an opportunity for a crime to happen.

gunhand, Feb 11, 5:10am
Rememeber the days when you could actually do this, and leave ya house unlocked.

marcs_stuff, Feb 11, 5:16am
No law against it, but if you REALLY don't want your car, why not put it on TradeMe!

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 11, 5:19am
Wrong.

intrade, Feb 11, 5:20am
some cars have turbo timer and run for 3 to 5 minutes after shutting off. and no its not illegal its probably people with boken starter motors or dead batterys .

pete_iam, Feb 11, 5:24am
i did say with the keys in it. windows where even open and the guy was gone around 10 minutes

morrisman1, Feb 11, 6:01am
One day I didnt snib my door shut on the car, and the breeze opened it. Two hours later a girl I work with let me know as she has just come into work. Full fuel cans, and everything still there. I like Invercargill.

holdenboy11, Feb 11, 6:09am
Wait, you asked a question and answered it yourself with your own opinion!.

stevo2, Feb 11, 6:09am
I remember when I was an apprentice, the boss came to work at 7.30am, parked on the roadside and left the motor running (Morris Minor ute) intending to go out again in a couple of minutes. He forgot about it and it was still running when he left at 5pm.
Stevo

owene, Feb 11, 6:36am
Please quote the relevant section in the Road Code that says this.

owene, Feb 11, 6:37am
Invercargill! To cold, too much inbreeding and too many oysters down there. No thanks.

elect70, Feb 11, 7:17am
Never leave keys in it . Remember the guy who had his prizedV8 commiestolen while payingat gas station, jumped on the bonnet yet pricks tried to shake him off, cops gotthem eventually & gave the owner a bollicking for atempting to stop them .

smac, Feb 11, 7:56am
Are you actually after an answer to your question, or do you just want to start an argument about things that are different here from your homeland!

-mung-, Feb 11, 8:02am
What the hell, he is asking if it's an offence in NZ then stating that is IS an offence in Europe because blah blah blah.

I think you guys better check you don't have an exhaust leak.

msigg, Feb 11, 8:11am
Enforcement agencies do it,couriers do it,taxis do it,council workers do it, if you want to waste gas you can do it too.

clark20, Feb 11, 8:14am
I remember a guy stoped at a workshop I was in , with a MK3 cortina, he walks in leaving motor running them ningningning motors reving its tits off, dog had jumped over and laid on the throttle

hondalova, Feb 12, 1:32am
when i had my nissan cefiro, the starter packed up, so when i went to shops i left it running. but i could pull the keys out because the key was worn out. i get out lock car and leave it running, then i have other young people coming up to me and asking if its "Turbd".