Classic car insurance ami

Page 1 / 2
millerz08, Feb 12, 5:11am
I just insured another car through AMI. I was told this could be insured under classic car insurance, due to the age and not being driven often (It works out much cheaper). Is this insurance ok, has anyone had experience with it! I have to take it into a car yard for a valuation also.

sprinkle, Feb 12, 5:49am
How old is the car!Might be interested to see what AMI have to say about mine.

akaniva, Feb 12, 6:08am
Vero has classic car insurance if you're a member of the VCC. Really cheap and very low excess too.

joanie32, Feb 12, 6:12am
I had this policy with AMI. The only thing that wasnt covered was glass. Everything else Ive had with them has been excellent and although I never made a claim on the classicinsurance I would recommendthem

sheepey, Feb 12, 6:18am
Have my vj with them.Had to get a written valuation done for it to be accepted.

marcos1, Feb 12, 6:19am
I also have the same classic policy with AMI.

My glass is covered, but comes with a $100.00 excess.

ceedoubleyou, Feb 12, 6:40am
AA Insurance - 1968 car, classed as Vintage Insurance - $22,000 - Registered Value - Max 5000km pa, premium, $196 pa. excess $400, premium cheaper if they are notified that car is being stored or restored for a period of time.

sprinkle, Feb 12, 6:44am
SweetI will look into AA and Vero too.3 more years to go and the car is classed as classic.

millerz08, Feb 12, 6:56am
Its a 1973. I did not know about this insurance, as I have never had an old car. Sounds as though it is pretty good, the excess is low.

I will take it in this week for a registered valuation, at the moment they have insured for the purchase price, but I need to provide the valuation within 10days.

I have my everyday car insured with them, but have never made a claim. just wanted to check that the classic insure was ok, it seems so cheap.

millerz08, Feb 12, 6:56am
Its a 1973. I did not know about this insurance, as I have never had an old car. Sounds as though it is pretty good, the excess is low.

I will take it in this week for a registered valuation, at the moment they have insured for the purchase price, but I need to provide the valuation within 10days.

I have my everyday car insured with them, but have never made a claim. Just wanted to check that the classic insurance was ok, it seems so cheap.

smac, Feb 12, 7:11am
I've just notched another one up with them millerz. Apart from getting a realistic value, the only thing to watch is that is must be an original, or restored to original car. No modified cars (which rules one of mine out). Pain in the bum.

As for valuation, unless you know a dealer who knows minis, I'd go through your local club. Letter from them will be OK as valuation.

golfgti, Feb 12, 7:50am
I use Classic Cover (based in Hamilton) underwritten by Vero. Very good to deal with.

countrypete, Feb 12, 8:02am
I second that.Have my Cappuccino insured with them.Don't recall the excess, but there is a mileage limit of 5,000kms per year which I will never get near.Inexpensive premium.

jason18, Feb 12, 8:09am
71 VG Valiant $115 a year from memory 15k insured and 100 excess

hutchk, Feb 12, 8:14am
AMI were happy to insure my newer Jag ('86) under a classic policy - age is not the only qualifying factor, they'll also look at collectable/special interest vehicles.

jhw2, Feb 12, 9:11am
My '62 E Type Jag is insured with them.Good thing about AMI compared to some of the other Classic policies for me, is that they don't have an annual mileage cap

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 9:13am
Had Vero with the car club discounted cover but changed to AMI.
AMI was significantly cheaper and the terms were more reasonable.

owene, Feb 12, 9:40am
Whatever you do with AMI, read the fine print and make 100% sure that it's an 'Agreed value' policy. I am aware of them taking such risk and then at claim time arguing about the actual value and disputing the agreed value figure.

akaniva, Feb 12, 10:02am
AMI told me that even if you have Agreed Value cover they will pay the lesser of that or Market Value. Anyone know if this is right as it sounds wrong.

jhw2, Feb 12, 5:40pm
This is incorrect.Should the market value be greater than the agreed value, then the agreed value is paid out.This to be is reasonable, given that the premium will have been based on the agreed value

74nova, Feb 12, 6:13pm
My cars with AMI, $15 a month, $100 excess and agreed value $30K

elect70, Feb 13, 2:44am
Vero will accept yourvalue for agreed valueclassic insurance .Been with them viaMark Joblin for many years , good to deal with noproblem with claimspretty rteasonablerates

mike107, Feb 13, 4:30am
AA Classic car insurance. 1973 Colt Galant GTO, covered for 10 grand, 5000km a year limit, $8.95 a month.

millerz08, Feb 13, 4:40am
Its a 73 Holden Kingswood. I will be taking it into the local car yard to get it valued tomorrow.

It is pretty tidy, but my husband will be repainting it as he is a car painter.
I may look at getting the interior recovered at some stage.
Would this mean the car needs to be revalued after any work is done! or does it require a valuation every few years anyway!

I was not told anything about a km limit per year, but it should not be a problem if there is one as it wont be taken out much at this stage.

At the purchase price it will cost $116 annual fee, I was shocked as my wee swift costs me $640 annually.

millerz08, Feb 13, 4:40am
Its a 73 Holden Kingswood. I will be taking it into the local car yard to get it valued tomorrow.

It is pretty tidy, but my husband will be repainting it as he is a car painter.
I may look at getting the interior recovered at some stage.
Would this mean the car needs to be revalued after any work is done! or does it require a valuation every few years anyway!

I was not told anything about a km limit per year, but it should not be a problem if there is one as it wont be taken out much at this stage.

At the purchase price it will cost $116 annual fee, I was shocked as my wee swift costs me $640 annually.
Edit to say ( I relise my swift is a new car, but would have thought classic cars would be "high risk" and cost much more)