Subaru 94, lost 2nd gear

ginn3001, Feb 12, 8:08pm
could anyone tell me what i have actually done to the inside of the gearbox for this to happen!
and how much it would cost to fix or replace a cheaper option and by how much!
Cheers

duke250, Feb 12, 8:39pm
Manual or Auto!

ginn3001, Feb 12, 8:41pm
sorry manual

duke250, Feb 12, 8:45pm
Did it crunch or hard shift into second before you lost it, or did it just die oneday!

intrade, Feb 12, 9:36pm
if it crunched over and over then it will be rounded off teeth not holding secound gear. if it just dropped then you have to inspect the outside of the box and hope a leaver has got sloppy or poped off so it would not select the gear . otherwise something has fallen apart inside the box so the selector wont move the sproket in to 3th gear position= removal of gearbox and opening it up for repair. and while its out you would fit a new clutch also if it was close to be done.

ginn3001, Feb 12, 11:09pm
it hasnt been used all weekend, but was working fine on friday when i drove home and went to use it today and it just refused to go in to second.
someone said it could cost up to $2000, i almost had a heart attack!

mugenb20b, Feb 12, 11:18pm
Which is why you should look for a second hand gearbox. No point spending $2000 on a $1500 car.

ginn3001, Feb 12, 11:25pm
how much are the second hand ones these days!

intrade, Feb 12, 11:28pm
find out what the problem is manual gearboxes can be fixed by propper mechanic first check is likage also google subaru forums to see if it is a common fault. it be either a gear linkage outside faulty or a selector pin has fallen out or something . also check gearbox for holes in the housing to outside and research the internals online once you found out what transmission is fitted old manual trans al work similar i know my mate had a subaru one apart in 30 minutes and back togather in another 30 minute with new bearings fitted.easy as to remove if its non 4x4

ginn3001, Feb 12, 11:37pm
its a AWD:-(, easlier when you know what you are looking at, sadly im not that great with really knowing what is meant to be there and what isnt! lol

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 12:12am
Are any other gears harder to get into! Does clutch pedal feel different! Im going to take a stab and say clutch hydraulic issue - most likely leaking slave cylinder not depressing clutch pressure plate enough.

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 12:13am
Also a used box would be under $400 and labour to fit would be only a few hours if it did turn out to be a gearbox fault.

ginn3001, Feb 13, 5:25am
parts connection are saying that a box would cost between $450 and $950! and then add labour on to that!

jezz parts have got so damn expensive!