Not always changing gear?

poohbearfan3, Feb 16, 9:38pm
I'm having an issue with my car and am wondering if anyone has any ideas!
Sometimes it doesn't change into gear straight away.For example if I have it in reverse, then put it into drive, it will just suit and idle in neutral for a few seconds before it decides it will go into drive.
Any suggestions!
It's a 99 Subaru Impreza, automatic, non turbo.
Thanks!

thunderbolt, Feb 16, 9:40pm
Have you checked fluid level!

What condition is the fluid in!

If you hold the Revs over 4 grand it will engage faster. :)

p.s. dont do that.

phillip.weston, Feb 16, 10:07pm
probably a partially blocked filter or low fluid level. Do the revs flare up between normal 2nd to 3rd gear changes!

luke041, Feb 16, 11:14pm
Low clutch seals in the trans are worn we see about one a month at work at the moment.

elect70, Feb 17, 2:23am
I remember MK 4 cortina autos did thatwhen coldif backed out then in to D it took30 seconds or so before engaging .Factoiry mech said it was common ,it worried her indoors though .

intrade, Feb 17, 2:24am
sounds like you should service it soonest if its not to late

dave653, Feb 17, 6:34am
Just fixed our VN Commy, was revving to 3000r's in first, harsh into 2nd. Pulled the TV cable fully out and it's now a pleasure to drive (or as much as an orto can be) Sometimes it's an adjustment issue. check the interweb for specific info, it's out there.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Feb 17, 7:56am
get it checked out asap. know of a vehicle that done that and it very slowly got worse and then started not changing gears properly and ended up needing another gearbox. very expensive

poohbearfan3, Feb 20, 2:20am
Okay, thanks for the ideas.
I rang one place, explained, and they said it sounded like my whole gear box needed to come out and I needed a new one.I'm not so sure about that though.They also quoted around $1,500.Hmmm.
No idea about the answer re the revs questions!!

thunderbolt, Feb 20, 2:41am
TV cable!

Does it get freeview now!

intrade, Feb 20, 3:14am
take it to a automatic rebuild place for a service and inspection.1500 sounds wrong as a rebuild of a auto trans is more like 4500$.people who only fix automatic transmissions should know whats wrong