Butane torch, okay for heating stuck bolts etc?

morrisman1, Feb 17, 6:24pm
get one that takes either 230g or 220g disposable butane cartridges. Id recommend getting a kovea one, wont be any more expensive than that either. Remember when they say 1300° it is Fahrenheit

franken1, Feb 17, 6:30pm
Butane may not be hot enough for loosening bolts. I would suggest stepping up to a propane torch with a high volume head (i.e. not a pencil flame)

ambo11, Feb 17, 7:38pm
Okay, just talking about small bolts here (lawnmowers etc), some on these blowtorches say up to 1300 degrees Centigrade.if they can melt alloy surely that would be hot enough to break the corrosion between steel and alloy! Main offender I have at the moment is a rusted muffler tube on an antique lawnmower.good vice grips and plenty of WD40 haven't budged it.

skull, Feb 17, 7:39pm
I agree, butane won't be hot enough and you'll definately need the high volume, a pencil flame would be a complete waste.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 8:21pm
ambo11,
Couple of tricks I use to move similar bolts which may help.

* Kroil - this product is significantly better than CRC. You can make a product that is just as good with ATF and Brake fluid but its not very good for anything else it lands on. You will be amazed what can be loosened with Kroil, I use it on very old exhaust studs in alloy heads with great success.

*If you have a mig welder, there is the old trick of welding a nut on a broken stud. What you may not have thought about is even if the stud/nut is not broken welding a blob on top of it (obviously without runing the thread) will often heat it up enough to loosen things.

Hope thats of some help.

BTW, even though a little soldering iron might heat up as hot as a big one it won't solder big heavy gauge wire/cable etc. I think you may possibly encounter the same issue with that butane torch.

ambo11, Feb 17, 9:32pm
Thanks for that, I have some ATF and brake fluid.will mix a little together and soak it on the exhaust.and yep I was wondering if the heat would get "completely through" so to speak with a wee butane torch.will try the ATF/brakefluid combo and leave for 24 hours.not worried about paintwork as its being totally stripped anyway.thanks for that.

richard198, Feb 17, 10:06pm
Instead of using Butane or Propane get Mapp Gas canisters. They're hotter than Propane!

franken1, Feb 18, 6:39am
Mapp starts getting more expensive and may be overkill for loosening a few bolts but it will certainly do the job.

jmma, Feb 18, 8:47am
If its a tube that screws into the head, can you not use an old screwdriver and hammer and collapse it inwards!

ambo11, Feb 18, 9:22am
Thanks for all replies, just got the bugger out.had nothing to lose so tried a plain old heat gun forpaint stripping following a day of soaking in the ATF/Brake fluid mix.got the alloy hot enough to smoke, and it "cracked" and loosened.maybe a fluke.lol.thanks for all replies.