Over heating prob

Page 1 / 2
ykatoman, Mar 5, 1:08am
Deisel engine gets hot and starts to push water out overflow pipe to bottle untill finaly gets to low in water but it wont suck water back out of bottle. New radiator, thurmastat. was wondering if thurmastat was wrong one or what else it could be.

splinter67, Mar 5, 1:12am
Could be an airlock what car and which engine!

ykatoman, Mar 5, 1:21am
Hilux 2.4 2lte

mm12345, Mar 5, 1:38am
Try a new radiator cap.There's a valve in the cap so that when the system cools, it's supposed to suck water back from the overflow. They can get bunged up.
You need to get this all sorted pronto - or be prepared for serious $$$ damage.

andy61, Mar 5, 1:42am
More than likely a cracked head

lugee, Mar 5, 1:48am
Really! Without ruling out cheap simple things like air locks and bad radiator caps!

jmma, Mar 5, 1:55am
Was it doing this before replacing radiator and thermostat !

bjmh, Mar 5, 2:15am
thermostat not fitted properly,air locks ,radiator cap.then start looking at big probs

andy61, Mar 5, 2:42am
The clue is in the engine code= 2lte= turbo 2.4 dieselalways crack heads.Do a T-K test to find out if theres exhaust gases in engine coolant before wasting money on radiator caps etc.

sr2, Mar 5, 3:05am
+1, you need to diagnose a problem before throwing what is often good money after bad.
You're getting good advice here, sadly the 2.4 has a bad reputation for cracking heads.

msigg, Mar 5, 4:39am
The clue is the new radiator, most often changed/cleaned after noticing engine getting too hot. By all means take out the thermostat that won't cost, As above get it checked by garage.

ykatoman, Mar 5, 5:16am
different engine as cooked first one, got new radiator as old one stuffed, so new cap, put new thurmo in. some days i can drive for hour and a half and not over heat but have to put more water in to get back, and some days only get 20 min and have to stop as getting to hot

jmma, Mar 5, 5:23am
All the above still applies (o:

intrade, Mar 5, 5:25am
i seeso you got new radiator and new cap! is the fan working at all i would check the harmonic balance is not split in 2 peaces thats what they often do also apart from cracking heads.
And how do you knowthe engine was good you fitted!

intrade, Mar 5, 5:29am
another place water can disapear is on the internal heater radiator leaking in to the cab when the heater core is busted. Also you should run glycol not plain water, these crack heads usually because the rear boor gets clogged up and crack without mutch signs of overheating.

ykatoman, Mar 5, 5:39am
i got the new (old)engine and it went to the shop to get put in, they disconected the heater as that was happening, was running mint when left and it doesnt seem to run eny worse now just emptys out overflow pipe.

luxy, Mar 5, 6:43am
depends where the thermostat is, If is on its side then make sure that the small hole in it is to the top If its put in with the hole at the bottom it will overheat very quickly

intrade, Mar 5, 6:55am
i would check the harmonic ballancer and viscous fan should blow like hell when it gets warm

therafter1, Mar 5, 7:30am
Agree with # 5 . the next happy ending I see from this type of behaviour from a 2.4 lux will be my first.

franc123, Mar 5, 7:57am
And some people put themselves through this regularly and are still blinded by the bulletproof Toyota myth.But hey the dealer parts departments,engine reco shops and the scrap metal dealers that receive the heads love them, the turnovers a great stimulant for the economy.If brain cells were engaged and TD27 Navaras were purchased you'd probably never have to deal with this problem.Its highly likely it will be assuming the water pump vanes haven't rotted off or the visco fan has packed it in.

intrade, Mar 5, 9:10pm
i fitted a old L engine in my hilux the 2L-te was rooted so badly i was about to fit a new head when i noticed huge play on one of the pistons thats when i pulled the engine fully and found not only the engine was stuffed the dualmass flywheel and clutch had also destructed. I then had a good secoundhand engine but no flywheel till i had enough of the crap and fitted a engine from a 82 ute that its chassy had snapped from a kumara farm in dargaville and thats what still makes the thing move now slowly as hell but it moves even towed a 2.5 ton digger in low range up steep hills.

intrade, Mar 5, 9:42pm
yea wellthere is more then 1 post etlling him to change the cap. You can get a mutch higher pressure cap i just got one on my merc as it pushed all the fluids out the overflow when it warmed normal toyota one fitted but i lost the coolant even faster so i got the highest rated one and its fine now because thats what probably was on thereand yes they often can go faulty the cap is the thirst thing i recomend to change when there is a problem like that. the highest pressur rating for the style cap is
tridon CB16110

steptoe72, Mar 5, 10:11pm
Yeap or worn out head gasket with a seap.head gasket and crack test would be in order.

therafter1, Mar 5, 11:18pm
Why experiment by throwing parts at it !

Fill the thing to the top, bleed it correctly as tho you are assuming that everything is O/K, then make sure that it is filled right to the brim at the radiator cap fitment point/fill point, start engine and watch for a stream of bubbles at the fill point, if there is a constant fine stream of bubbles than I would put money on it that the head has a hairline crack between the valves on one or more cylinders. If once you have bled it you start the engine with the cap off and the hood up and the contents of the cooling system hit the inside of the hood, then you aren??

splinter67, Mar 5, 11:30pm
Oh no you cant do that on here giving good advice is frowned upon. LOL
Oh that's right your of the older generation that can diagnose problems without plugging in a computer good on ya