Old oil in engine

scoobeey, Feb 19, 9:05am
Have a 6v71 which im doin a run with and has been sitting for 5 years. ( been regularly moved ) .Would it be a good idea to drop the oil and add another 24 litres lol

mugenb20b, Feb 19, 9:18am
Are you asking if you should do an oil change on a Detroit diesel after sitting for 5 years! Is it currently in a vehicle or sitting on the floor in the corner of the workshop!

scoobeey, Feb 19, 10:02am
The motor is in my truck :)

scoobeey, Feb 19, 10:02am
Brand new oil when parked up

jmma, Feb 19, 10:12am
I wouldn't, just get it warm up good and proper, All the other fluids have been sitting that long, If you go changing oil then think about brake fluids etc. Opening a can of worms aye, How long is the run!

intrade, Feb 19, 10:04pm
be ok then dont change it. Here is what is important . You want to run the engine hot when you shut it down for longer as quick starting and shutdowns is what roots any engine. My iveco was sitting for 10 years and when i sold it i put a battery in it and started it up 3 secunds cranking and it ran smooth as as if i just had used it every day. (always shut down Hot )= no problem when you start it again in 6 month time.

skiff1, Feb 19, 10:14pm
oil changes are cheap insuarance in any situation

intrade, Feb 19, 10:21pm
if the oil was new when you parked up is the same thing as if you had the new oil on your shelf inside its original container , would you throw that oil away now that you have had on the shelf ! there is no difference the oil is new only that you done the oilchange already . and its stored in the engine instead of on the shelf inside a plastic container.

mugenb20b, Feb 19, 11:10pm
What about all the blow by gases and moisture! Oil in the engine isn't 100% sealed.