You should water down your diesel!

friendly_prawn, Feb 19, 8:17pm

intrade, Feb 19, 9:43pm
The water is encapsulated in little droplets inside the oil, so the engine doesn't see it."or hurt its feelings lmao

mugenb20b, Feb 19, 11:02pm
What the.! So how is the water trap meant to "see" the water! And all this BS to gain 3% in savings, why bother!

bowla3, Feb 19, 11:24pm
Reminds me of a similar load of BS in the 1950s. Water injection - I think they called it - A reservoir of water under the bonnet with a hose connected to the vacuum wiper hose on the intake manifold,
A bloke at Whenuapai Airforce Base was making them and flogging them off to gullible people. A mate of mine copied and made one, fitted to his Plymouth Cranbrook (flat head 6). As you can guess. It made absolutely no difference to performance or economy.

un_known, Feb 19, 11:37pm
water injection isnt BS its been used on high performance engines since the 1930's. its used to keep combustion temperatures down, normally on turbo/supercharged engines.but no it isnt going to make any difference to an old flat head 6 unless he was running a 6/71 blower on it.

rob_man, Feb 19, 11:42pm
Water injection is also beneficial in countries with poor petrol supplies and low octane ratings. Skoda Octavias were fitted with it during the 60s for that reason.

serf407, Feb 19, 11:44pm
Water injection was used on the Lancia 037 Rally. Worked okay apart from Monte Carlo where a fault filled Andruet's engine with water.
http://www.lanciarally037.com/e-volumex.htm

jamzie, Feb 20, 7:44am
if water injection was bs i dont think they would use them in aeroplanes "Piston engined petrol military aircraft utilized water injection technology prior to World War II in order to increase takeoff power. This was used so that heavily-laden fighters could take off from shorter runways, climb faster, and quickly reach high altitudes to intercept enemy bomber formations. Some fighter aircraft also used water injection to allow higher boost in short bursts during dogfights"

thejazzpianoma, Feb 20, 11:00pm
Saab used water injection in the 80's. The key reason it wasn't popular was you needed to keep the water topped up regularly and because you alter your ignition timing etc to suit it you could cause damage when it ran out.

However. with todays electronic metering (vaccum based metering was far from ideal) and the ability to run dual ignition mapping with automatic switch over, water injection is pretty viable.

I think water injection is the preferable alternative to emulsifying it in the fuel. Then it becomes accessible to everyone since this emulsified stuff is not a "forecort fuel".

You would be blown away with the obscene ignition advance you can run with water injection.

the-lada-dude, Feb 21, 1:02am
jazz, there is absolutely no point in advancing the ignition beyond best H/P
there are situations where using more advance may not cause pre ignition but H/P drops away due to adverse pressure build up on the piston crown btdc

sr2, Feb 21, 3:26am
Although what you say is correct, access to ???your best HP??? ignition advance setting is often restricted by the level of detonation it will produce. Anything that reduces detonation (i.e. water injection) will allow you to run more advance to get you closer to that elusive sweet spot.

gilco2, Feb 21, 6:06am
I did my apprenticeship on Austins and Ramblers. Most of the bigger Austins had the water bottle connected to inlet manifold.One thing I know from that experience was they were cleaner inside. The carbon didnt build up around the valves and pistons stayed cleaner.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 6:36am
+1 Perfectly said.
Also in fairness to the lada dude, I probably should have pointed out that the obscene amounts of advance that you can use are not at high engine rev's. Its the low rev stuff especially with high load (typical detonation conditions) where most of the changes are made. Thats what gives you the economy too.

That raises another point, those that say water injection does nothing for economy are only half right. It does almost nothing on its own, sure, however dial in some ignition timing and possibly gearing to enable as much driving as possible with low rev's and high load and you will definitely see some economy improvements. Its what it allows you to do to the setup that makes the economy/power.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 6:38am
Yip, just like when you strip a car with a blown head gasket and find it shiny and clean in the cylinder with the leak.

Its actually worth running water injection temporarily (just a throw together system is fine) for just this purpose in some instances where a car has been carboned up. (Obviously not a great solution for a customer car but for your own purposes great).

pollymay, Feb 21, 6:48am
A large truck washer pump coupled with a solenoid cold start injector will work,

sr2, Feb 21, 8:45am
The old school farmers ???decarb??? used to be a glass or two of water poured down the carb with the throttle held open; it worked surprisingly well!We ran water injection on a Turbo Holbay Cosworth with quite some success. I made a continuously pressurised system using a small 12V caravan water pump, a Schroder solenoid valve and a commercial weed sprayer nozzle (great for water injection, intercooler sprays etc. as they have very fine atomisation and are available with a variety of litre/min ratings). With a fully programmable Autronic ECU it was easy to map according to inlet temp, RPM and throttle position.

neville48, Feb 21, 9:06am
the Kapiti Coast District Council CEO just got 44k wage rise so they have to bother.