4wd driving manually

donna_jo29, Mar 3, 3:57am
Hi we dont know how to drive a 4WD we just brought a 4wd isuzu bighorn 1990 and we were just wandering.Do you drive it in 4wd or 2wd.my husband thinks in neutral its lower geared and revs are too high. we brought it to tow a caravan.
thanx

mugenb20b, Mar 3, 4:00am
On the road - 2WD.

Off road or slippery surface - 4WD HIGH.

Off road or slippery surface + the need for maximum traction (torque) - 4WD LOW.

DO NOT engage 4WD on dry firm surface.

tim41, Mar 3, 8:27am
oh my god,some people

morrisman1, Mar 3, 8:32am
sounds like my car! It just revs and I swear it doesn't go anywhere in neutral

jmma, Mar 3, 8:33am
Hey, If you don't ask, you won't know (o:

mugenb20b, Mar 3, 8:49am
Oh.and yeah.selecting 'neutral' on your transfer case will do SFA. You'll be going nowhere.

xs1100, Mar 3, 9:33am
and also if you have automatic hubs which you should do when switching from 4wd hi or low back to 2wd.reverse back up a couple meters so that the hubs disengage and also get or do a complete service and replace oils in both front and rear diffs and even gearbox (they are often overlooked)

mrfxit, Mar 3, 10:24am
Yep all good advice above.

4wd on tarseal in normal driving will bind up the gearbox & strip the cogs.
Caravan towing on tarseal is best in std 2wd mode or you WILL screw the gearbox
4wd for towing is fine for grass/ mud /gravel.
4wd mode at anything above a crawl, NEEDS & MUST HAVE a slightly slippery surface

mrfxit, Mar 3, 10:26am
If you can take a photo of the front wheel center & upload it to Trademe & post the link here . then we can tell you if it has manual front hubs or auto hubs

jenny188, Mar 3, 11:54am
yep miles per gallon, absolute crap but tyres should last fore-ever

intrade, Mar 3, 7:12pm
firstly you never ever tow in 4x4 on tarsealed roads you only use 4x4 offroad on gravel road or on grass . secoundly neutral is that no gear it will say 2h 4h and 4 low the 4 is 4x4 mode where front and rear is driven selector has to be in position and you only shift the leaver for low high when the car is stationarry or slowly moveing with clutch pressed just like shifting a normal gear. There might be a electric button to turn on and off 4x4 also and if it is all manual then you have some locking keys on the front you have to turn to get it in to driving the 2 front tyres in 4x4.