Selling a car when its financed

shovel5, Mar 3, 7:24am
Hi just wondering what my options are.My car is still financed for another 3 years(not long had it) but my circumstances have changed and I am now moving overseas in a few months.Is it better if I try sell privately and just get someone to take over the finance or would I be better to try sell it back to a car yard. I realise its a lose lose situation

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:29am
Shovel--1) you can't just have someone"take over the finance" At best its a bit more complicated than that at worst it can't be done.
2) selling back to the caryard may be an option but so soon after purchade I'd be expecting you to have to pay THEM some money
3) another option is to get a settlement figure in wrighting and adverttise the car privately. Making it clear that money is owing but they can pay the finance co direct so they know the finance is sorted.
4)or maybee leave the car with the caryard to sell OBO

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:29am
Shovel--1) you can't just have someone"take over the finance" At best its a bit more complicated than that at worst it can't be done.
2) selling back to the caryard may be an option but so soon after purchade I'd be expecting you to have to pay THEM some money
3) another option is to get a settlement figure in wrighting and advertise the car privately. Making it clear that money is owing but they can pay the finance co direct so they know the finance is sorted.
4)or maybee leave the car with a caryard to sell OBO and keep up[ payments till it sells

gubay, Mar 3, 7:32am
Legally you don't own it, the finance company does. Better talk to them or you risk screwing your credit rating and future loans.

shovel5, Mar 3, 7:35am
great,thats exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to know,
Thank you

edangus, Mar 3, 7:35am
This is the only viable option. Anything else will probably be more trouble than what its worth.

neo_psy, Mar 3, 7:36am
Kaz is on to it. I sold a Commy with some $$ owing. Just got the buyer to have his finance company pay my finance company. My finance company just refunded me the difference. If someone it buying it with no finance, then get them to make the payment to your finance company

Easy peasy.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:39am
Yea --Hm wot car yard waz it again dat sorted all that out for ya!

neo_psy, Mar 3, 7:41am

Pfft, dunno. Some dodgy bloke in West Auckland with a tribe of kids. I hear they've had more since. Must not have a TV,,,

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:42am
ptssst yaself-best ya visit that place or mamma kaz is gonna feel bad sh cant show off da new babee

neo_psy, Mar 3, 7:43am
Noted. Will follow up with the Mrs.

clark20, Mar 3, 8:20am
I have heard about this dodgy trader, best to avoid. Heard he cannot even get $5K cars anymore.but he does have great advice.

neo_psy, Mar 3, 8:39am
Oh no, he can *get* $5K cars, but by the time he's wound the odo back and tarted them up, they're $10-12K cars.

extrayda, Mar 3, 9:54am
I thought he only sold Honda powered Rovers! Or Multipla's!