Selling a car to a Finance company .

floscey, Jul 8, 3:38am
Selling a car to a guy who has taken out finance to purchase . Any hooks i need to look out for ? . I have recieved paperwork from Finance company .They want my drivers licence number and bank account details etc. Ive never sold a vehicle this way .To top it off i got the "urgent notice" from trade me saying that i might be approached by a scammer , last night.

kevymtnz, Jul 8, 4:01am
take the money keep the car withdraw the money hide the car and wait
then if bank wants money back then asked how they can clear funds then want it back?

oakie, Jul 9, 8:02pm
Dork!

cammey, Jul 9, 8:42pm
Why would they want YOUR driver licence details ? You are selling the vehicle. None of their business running a credit check on you.

Once a person has your driver licence details they own you. I have been though this.

The scammer used my DL details to change my address at the Post Office, and NZTA.

Then they bought and sold cars, IMHO rebirthing stolen ones in my name.

I racked up parking, toll road and speed cam fines, as well as a Q Card and other dodgy stuff all done to my account.

Be very cautious before you let anyone near your driver licence details, its just too powerful as a scam tool.

shakespeare6, Jul 10, 7:06pm
Who is the finance company? I've sold a couple of cars to people through finance company GE both times. Yep had to give my bank account and licence copy. And sign a sellers agreement. No big deal, Have you actually rung the company ?

pepper-nala, Jul 10, 7:25pm
I had a lady who wanted my drivers licence last week told her i was not going to give it to her I was the owner of the vehicle and showed her ownership papers when I refused she didnt want the car, wondered if I had a lucky escape, maybe there is a scam going on out there. rather loose a sale than give up my license no, they can do lots of things with it so i am told. be aware,

gsimpson, Jul 10, 7:38pm
Presumably they only want proof that your face matches the name? In that case blank out the licence number. They won't have your full licence details but enough to prove who you are.

clark20, Jul 10, 10:08pm
All I would give is my account number and say pay into here, their finance has nothing to do with you. It may be a secondary check from the company to make sure you are the real seller, not their cousin or whatever

sw20, Jul 16, 9:20am
They want to check you are actually the owner of the car you are selling. You plug your licence number and plate number into the NZTA site and it simply says yes or no as registered owner.

cammey, Jul 16, 8:25pm
The registered owner is not the same as the legal owner, so thats a process that assures you of nothing really. And it can be done with knowing the licence number anyway.

There is no requirement to have a driver licence to own a vehicle.

kazbanz, Jul 16, 9:25pm
Who is the finance company?
The questions they are asking seem legit.
ie they will need a bank account to pay the money to
They want to ensure you are the registered owner and that there are no securities going to prevent them (the finance company) having clear title.
It could still be a scam though so direct contact with the finance company is always a good idea.

floscey, Feb 1, 9:28am
I told the guy i wasnt interested in having anything to do with the finance company in any shape or form . Guy showed up with the cash a week later.