Selling a car on TM

cupcake36, Feb 12, 10:45pm
Does the consumer guarantees act apply when selling a car on trade me!Or is it buyer beware!

johnf_456, Feb 12, 10:52pm
Depends on a lot of various factors like "as is where as" that signed by both parties, anything specific you want to know!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 10:55pm
Private or dealer sale!

cupcake36, Feb 12, 10:59pm
Private sale.I would like to sell a car but wasn't sure if i have to provide any warranty.Thanks

kazbanz, Feb 12, 11:04pm
Cupcake.Private seller--the car must have live rego and must have a WOF 1 month or less old.-I'd say on completion of sale to be safe.
The only other thing is you cannot misrepresent the vehicle in any way.
If you aren't comfortable with that then you must use the words AS IS WHERE ISin the advert but again cannot misrepresent it

daryl14, Feb 13, 4:21am
I always thought that as is where is was kinda already implied when selling privately.

Billions of cars and indeed any other second hand goods over thousands of years have been sold without the magic words in the advert.

cupcake36, Feb 13, 4:33am
I was worried about selling a car and having the new buyer coming back as in the thread "buyer wants cash back" .I too thought it was buyer beware.I have noticed that alot of buyers expect everything to be perfect,but second hand means"used" not brand new.

austingtir, Feb 13, 4:43am
Its getting ridiculous when people think they have come backs on second hand cars sold on an auction site.That is all.

daryl14, Feb 13, 4:47am
Yes it's ridiculous, The question is is it legally binding!

morrisman1, Feb 13, 5:28am
Sign a contract which says something like:

Vehicle sale agreement
Date
(vehicle make and model) (year) registration number (rego) was purchased by (buyer) from (seller) for the sum of (value of transaction). The vehicle is accepted "as-is, where-is"
Time of collection
Odometer reading on collection
Signed by seller and buyer

that will do sufficient arse covering from any payment issues, infringement notices or people just being retards.

splinter67, Feb 13, 5:33am
Not quite right there morrisman it wont cover the op from infringements only a change of ownership will do that
OP when you sell it don't let the car leave your possession until the ownership papers are changed Im speaking from experience

morrisman1, Feb 13, 5:56am
splinter67, yes it will, but change of ownership is obviously also required as it will prevent speeding tickets from getting sent to you in the first place.

stevo2, Feb 13, 6:50am
Mine reads like this ,,,
To whom it may concern.
I ??

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:22am
I'd suggest the following -or a variation of it
PLEASE READ terms and conditions
of auction before bidding.
#A bid is an UNCONDITIONAL binding decision to purchase.This means you are 100% certain it is fit for YOUR purposes.
#Caveat emptor: the car will be sold "as is where is". this means that what you see is what you get! We strongly suggest you view the vehicle before bidding.
#The vehicle is sold STRICTLY according to the auction description.

Id also suggest that the vehicle is NOT allowed to be uplfted untill C of O has been done
The receipt is a variation on
Mr XXX XXXXX
XXXXXX XXXXRoad
XXXXXXX
Auckland

Vehicle details
MakeXXXXX
ModelXXXXX
YearXXXXX
Registration NumberXXXXX
TraveledXXXXXkm
engine sizeXXXXcc
Registration expiry date21/3/2013
WoFexpiry date21/11/2012
This Item is sold under the terms and conditions of Trade Me auction XXXXXXX
It is sold on the clear understanding it is in as is where is condition.
XXX promise clear title.
XXX promise the goods are not stolen.

Price$xxxxx

Yours SincerelyCustomers Signature