Black Personalised plate

stevo2, Mar 26, 7:27am
On friday I followed an RX2 with the old style plate (black with silver letters) but it was a personalised plate (NVDRX2). I thought personalised plates only came out in White with black.
How can that be!

ofive, Mar 26, 7:58am
maybe he made it himself!

trogedon, Mar 26, 8:00am
Your colour blind!

trogedon, Mar 26, 8:00am
You're colour blind!

emanual, Mar 26, 8:17am
a paint brush n paint.hav a go

jeffqv, Mar 26, 8:23am
I think these are legal for pre 84/5 cars and there used to be a website for having them made up (something like fancy plates!) I have them on my car.

fordcrzy, Mar 26, 8:27am
you simply spray your plate black and then sand the plate with 400ish wet and dry until the black letters rub down to the aluminium,,,,done

bitsy_boffin, Mar 26, 10:12am
The only silver on black plates you are allowed are the original plates which were issued, if they were issued in silver on black, if they are in good condition, and if you can prove they were first issued to that vehicle.

You can't get new silver on black plates just cause the car is old.

Sandpaper and black paint is what the poster has seen.Not legal.And with a Personalised Plate, only a matter of time before a popo notices, if it was a series plate, or better a personalised purchase of an early series plate, you might get away with it.

sw20, Mar 26, 10:30am
Guy I bought one of my cars off got chased by the 5-0 because he had silver on black personalised plates on his car. The cop even told him after he did a u turn he needed to do well over the speedlimit to catch up with him.all for the wrong colour plates. Good to see they are keeping Licensys' monopoly on plates alive with tax payer dollars.

bashfulbro, Mar 26, 8:25pm
On similar subject, what about USA plates !, i see a lot of American classiccars with their original USA plates on . I asked at VTNZ if this is legal, the lady told me that it is, but only if you buy the Personalised plate, the same numbers,letters .
Anyone know !

socram, Mar 26, 11:58pm
I had a warning letter (I wasn't stopped) for having Euro legal Perspex personalised reflective plates of the correct size - with a potential $500 fine.
The rules regarding plates are supposed to be under investigation according to the previous MoT under-secretary, but nothing appears to have happened, so yes, illegal and a heinous crime.

As I see it, the plates have to be as issued and unmodified.Part of the reason according to a local police neighbour, for the objection to mine, is that they are concerned about stolen cars carrying illegal plates. The fact that I do own the original (somewhat scruffy) plates cuts no ice.

bitsy_boffin, Mar 27, 12:05am
Lady was talking through a hole in her head.

You can drive on foreign plates, as a visitor, for 12 months (you must pay ACC levy, and have a VINZ, VTNZ or AA inspection done (not a normal WOF but also not full compliance I believe), but do not need registration as long as registration is live in the home country).

Longer than 12 months and your vehicle must be complied and registered and plated with NZ plates.The only legal plates for a NZ registered vehicle are black on white, or silver on black where they are the originals for that vehicle (and registered to it).

Edit to add: or those various approved personalised plates, investment plates etc. red on white, blue on white etc.

esprit, Mar 27, 12:58am
bitsy #11 is correct here. Customising a plate at all is not allowed. Neither is running on an overseas or replica plate.

fordcrzy, Mar 28, 8:53am
my wife was assualted while 7 months pregnant by a junkie high on P. they got a 100 dollar fine.the next week wifey was given a 250 dollar fine for "incorrect" front plate.good to see that police have thier priorities right.not.

bitsy_boffin, Mar 28, 9:04am
The sentence for the assault is handed down by the courts.The infringement notice for the plate is handed down by the police.

Two different entities.

socram, Mar 28, 9:58am
The legal system apparently lets off rat bag criminals but not minor transgressors, so the only logical response is to front up in court with the offending plate and before sentence, just quote the most recent examples of criminal let offs as above.It is still part of the justice system.

Or, as the courts are somewhat clogged, by stating that you will attend court to defend the charge (which is your right I believe), the chances are that either it will be a year before the case is heard or they will drop the charge as they just can't be bothered with pathetic cases.If I do get pinged, I 'll let you know how I get on, but the plates have been on the car since it left the showroom December 2002.

sheepey, Mar 28, 10:11am
Some of the people who worked for NZ post in those days were able to get special plates. I remember a guy getting my555 for his datsun 1200 sss. Maybe it was like that although the letter/number combo is far more recent.

nzeva, Mar 28, 10:40am
Yeah, sometimes a local NZ Post agent would bend the rules and let you reserve a plate that was coming up. Used to see a lot of MG's with MG number plates.
I have a 1974 car from Napier and it has an HB number plate.
The HB series number plates went to Hawkes Bay at the request of the local NZ Post agent!