"New import rules" and prices

richardmayes, Mar 19, 4:52am
Well well well. The third month of 2012 is upon us, and we're well into the final stage in the new exhaust emission regulations for used imports.

We've been hearing for months on here about how this is going to constrict supply, push car prices up "thousands of dollars" etc. I've been told this by experts on here, and face to face by dealers on their yards.

"You must buy now if you want this sort of price, everything's going up next year."

But just today I've browsed a few dealer auctions of 10-year-old makes & models that I've been keeping an eye on for the last year and a half. no real change in the prices of any of them.

SO - what's the story!

nzeva, Mar 19, 5:21am
Supply and demand, along with a tight economy I'd say.I think we have a net population loss at the moment with thousands of Kiwi's moving overseas every month, while many immigrants can't drive!
And with high rego/fuel and insurance costs more people are ditching their cars. There used to be 40 to 50k cars for sale on Trademe, now there's over 60k.
Heaps of bikes for sale too, used to be cheap to own, high rego and insurance has put an stop to that!
You can see why more people are using public transport.and walking.lol

phillip.weston, Mar 19, 8:50am
I would say the sales are slowing down and therefore the demand isn't so high and as a result the prices haven't risen as much as initially projected. I bet the dealers will really be feeling the pinch as they are tightening their margins even further.

However it is still only the quiet period of the year, I would imagine once we get just through winter sales will pick up again and demand will be higher.

This is just my speculation however. whether there's any truth in it is another story.

intrade, Mar 19, 7:43pm
naigbour just sold his nissan primerafor 1300$ that he purchased 5 year ago for 600$ thats more then 100% more and it was gone like a flash as no cars for sale now with wof under 2 grand other then from people moveing out of this country as above.

the-lada-dude, Mar 19, 8:06pm
older 2nd hand cars are definately moving up in price
you can sell a a junk heap to the scrappy for anything up to $400
early 90's with eng/trans slight panel damage, otherwise in tidy cond, no wof and rego on hold $500-- 800,and if that same car was a runner with reg&wof say 250k's$1500+ and those small nissans and esp toyota you can add a premium on as well !
i think your right in saying things are slow, and people dont want to srend up large. so they are starting at the bottom of the list, but sooner or later .

tgray, Mar 19, 8:36pm
Sold a 1996 nissan primera 140k's last week for $3995
Sold a 1998 nissan primera 80k's 2 years ago for $3995

phillip.weston, Mar 19, 9:10pm
yes older second hand cars are definitely increasing in price - but this was happening 2-3 years ago now.

the-lada-dude, Mar 21, 1:48am
tgray : those nissans would be real tidy !
do buyers want auto ormexican gearboxes!

ema1, Mar 21, 2:47am
You may well be right in a high percentage of cases but I sold a 1991 Corolla a short time ago in very good order for $1300 and it flew through it's WOF prior to sale .
I had that car for 4 years or so and it never failed a WOF in the time I had it, utterly reliable it was.

fordcrzy, Mar 21, 6:39am
they have definitly gone up a LOT. my mum bought a 2006 fiesta done 30,000 ks for 13,250 back in 2009.now look at the prices! they are at least 14K to get the same car as hers and that is now SIX years old and done around 50-60K!

WTF!

h2oldragon, Mar 27, 7:46am
richardmaysTry to buy a decent car in the $4000 to $6000 range and see what happens.

kazbanz, Mar 29, 5:36am
For gosh sakes dude doncha gettit !
The dealers with this 10 year old stock arent just suddenly gonna slap an extra thou on the price.
A car around the 6-10k mark isn't going up.
But as the supply of fresh imports pre 2004 runs outyou are going to notice that these cars are less available forcing people togo dearer or compromise on spec and/or milage.
Its not rocket science. Maybee you are finger walking rather than actually going out there and checking availability of these cars on caryards.

trdbzr, Mar 29, 8:43am
Second hand car prices have gone up, if some of them haven't then they will stay put until they are sold. The biggest difference i've seen is in the under $8000 bracket. Prices are just crazy compared to what they were a few years back. Cars have gotten older, done more km's and still easily sell for more than what they did 5-6 years back.

gunhand, Mar 29, 8:47am
Ive had many cars in this price range, and less. What is it Im waiting for! Nothing happened to any of them, oh except they used petrol and hadthe odd oil change and tyre but I hardly call those things a "happening"