Engine mount bolts-Alloy block

aj254, Mar 29, 7:53am
I don't want steel bolts to react with the alloy block, I've heard there's something to treat the bolts with. Anyone know what it is!
TIA

grangies, Mar 29, 8:17am
Zinc treatment.

aj254, Mar 29, 8:21am
Zinc-it do the job!

morrisman1, Mar 29, 8:26am
zinc reacts with alloy more than bare steel would. If you use 304 or 316 stainless bolts you will be right

grangies, Mar 29, 8:26am
Not sure.

Zinc is put on so it collects the electrolysis and deterioratesbefore the aluminium does .

The engine block manufacturer will have a certain specification as to what to use.

morrisman1, Mar 29, 8:28am
I should correct myself, if you put zinc and alloy together, over time they will seize up. Thats why when you take bolts out of things like alloy throttle bodies on cars they are bloody tight then go snap and they are loose.

esprit, Mar 29, 8:37am
The stuff you want is called "Duralac". You paste it onto the threads and contact surfaces and acts as an electrolytic barrier. Available at your engineering wholesaler

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 29, 9:09am
Chrome anti-seize.
God no. Stainless steel is very bad in contact with aluminium.

saki, Mar 30, 3:57am
And make sure the engine is eathed.

cuda.340, Mar 30, 4:05am
if you can't eath it you can earth it too.

kazbanz, Mar 30, 5:15am
forgive my stupidity but HU!.I see ally blocks with steel bolts in them all the time. I dont see rust

aj254, Mar 31, 1:46am
I forgive you.

The are treated before assembly. I think its the alloy that corrodes if they aren't treated and means the only way to get them out again is with a drill.

drew2009, Mar 31, 2:06am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Stainless Steel against aluminium on saltwater boats is the worst for it, unless its properly treated.