Any Advice ? $7k to spend.

nafarious, Mar 30, 7:36am
On a new car, to be used for city driving but needs to be capable of shooting up the motorway to Auckland if required. No idea what to look at !

gammelvind, Mar 30, 7:46am
Wow what a loose question, any car that costs $7k can do that.

Try and expand your request, do you have 12 kids, a horse, carry haybails, want to flash a short skirt at truck drivers, or hang out with boy racers.

superwiner, Mar 30, 8:02am
Are you wanting a car, Station Wagon, People Mover, Van, Coupe, Sporty Flash, Run About. More Info from you then maybe ideas will flow.

xs1100, Mar 30, 8:08am
nissan wingroad,pulsar,cefiro/maxima.-

deus701, Mar 30, 8:09am
This is the perfect car for you, auction 461361032

nafarious, Mar 30, 8:22am
Cheap on gas, preferably 4 door but small, not a tin can, no children to worry about. Pretty much only to be used to get from home to work. Already have another big car for trips etc. Have not brought a car in years and never needed a small city car before so got no idea.

jasongroves, Mar 30, 10:05am
I would consider a late-ish model Nissan Pulsar.
VZ-R would be my choice, but if you don't need the extra power, then you could get a newer one for about the same money.

r15, Mar 30, 11:21am
where's jazz! he will be along shortly to convince you to get a small fiat or similar that you;ll never be able to sell when your finished with it

morrisman1, Mar 30, 7:31pm
Cool cars but apparently the Autech ones are better to live with on a day to day basis. The 2.0L gives a more useful powerband than the VVL 1.6

extrayda, Mar 30, 7:40pm
r15 haha as I was reading this post I was expecting to see it.
I will pre-empt Jazz for you.
** Make sure to look at a Grande Fiat Punto, must be 2002 or later.Much better tham Jap cars, safer, runs on the smell of an oily rag, and super cheap to service.
(sorry Jazz :-)
TBH if it was me and this was just for city driving I'd spend less.
e.g. Vitz 461072038 $5k, or there are similar nissans, hondas, mazdas of that sort of size or bigger (and similar ages), all for that sort of money.Anything from 80,000ks to 130,000ks.Depends on whether you have a car to get from A to B or want something a bit 'cooler' or more fun to drive.

BTW I was joking about the Punto / Fiat etc, I have never owned or run any small european vehicle, so can't comment.
I have however owned two corolla's, both of which were perfectly adequate and cheap to run & keep.I would say that most of the Japanese cars I have driven aren't 'exciting' but predicatably start each morning, and don't break down and leave you stranded, nor do they have odd parts that you have to source somewhere (unless you buyt an oddball model).

ryanm2, Mar 30, 7:42pm
VW Golf - someone had to say it.

kazbanz, Mar 30, 9:02pm
bang for buck I reckon thenissan march and sunny seem to be the best deals out there at the moment.

n1smo_gtir, Mar 30, 9:23pm
nissan wingroad, we got at turners for 6.5Grand. 1.5l chain driven (no cambelts to change). only 74,000 ks fresh import. Great lil town car and doesn't cost much on gas yet got the power if needed.

aleestar, Mar 31, 1:27am
7 k and u can have my 5L v8 129000km

elect70, Mar 31, 2:56am
For running intown id go for aa mazda demioplenty of load space with rear seats foldedsupposedlyreliable little runaboutbut not sureprice range .

bellky, Mar 31, 3:09am
Our cleaner has one of those. They are cool and cheap, about $5k or $6k circa 2003.