Maintanace on a RX8 advice please

Page 1 / 2
halo1636, Apr 7, 5:46am
Wife is looking for a new car and likes the mazda rx8 which has a rotory in it Are these high maintance!The other car she likes is the nissan 350.Thanks

jason18, Apr 7, 6:39am
I would go 350z !

zak1998, Apr 7, 6:44am
RX8 drinks fuel like a V8 but only a 1.3cc. Nissan 350z better car

vtecintegra, Apr 7, 6:46am
Maintenance shouldn't be too bad but fuel economy is horrible. They also consume a bit of oil so you need to keep a very close eye on oil levels. Note there are a couple of different models of which only the high output manual is worthwhile (if you're going to put up with that economy at least be sure you're getting some performance in return)

Note with both those cars stuff like tyres is going to set you back more than in an econo box and you don't want to skimp there.

jason18, Apr 7, 7:34am
Alfas are so ugly tho

bellky, Apr 7, 7:37am
The Rx-8 is a rotary so by definition it is extremely cool.

bellky, Apr 7, 7:39am
And they are definitely not tough, whereas a 20b Rx-8 hellaflush is.

maddat666, Apr 7, 7:51am
350z all round better

bellky, Apr 7, 7:52am
And Rx-8s use oil because they are supposed to. Sump oil is injected via an oil metering pump in to the combustion chamber to lubricate the seal and chrome surfaces.

doug207, Apr 7, 7:56am
Wait, Jazz, did you just suggest a 147 or 156 over a 350z or RX-8! Surely you jest.I like the 156, but, come on.

Personally it'd be the 350Z for me (actually, it's be a BMW E36 M3, but we won't go there) the 350Z is more reliable and actually has a decent whack of torque, the RX-8 is a fine handling car, but I always thought the lacked power.
The 350Z does have a horribly tacky/plasticy interior though.

Have you considered the Honda S2000! Cheaper to run than all of the above, but very fun.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 7, 8:07am
It was just an idea. women seem to go on looks first and it is a similar concept.
I wouldn't suggest the Alfa over the Nissan based on reliability (plus I don't know that much about the 350z)
But. having seen whats involved with keeping an RX8 for daily use, yes I would definitely recommend the Alfa as being cheaper and easier to live with. by quite a margin! We have had them as everyday cars and they are absolutely fine, only proviso is doing the timing belt on time and properly and avoiding the selespeed version. Plus the Alfa club may really appeal to the OP, its a good fun social club that wives/family's seem to really enjoy.
Anyhow. enough on that tangent. It was just a random thought. I like your S2000 idea BTW, I nearly suggested that as well.

bellky, Apr 7, 8:15am
More importantly, why are you buying your wife a 'sporty' car. I'd be getting her a Falcon and telling her that's what she's having. After all it's a solid no-nonsense car that has plenty of room, is safe, and is not uneconomical compared to an Rx-8, and you won't look like a tool if you get anywhere near it. Oh, and your wife will look well and truely taken in the Falcon too, if you know what I mean.

doug207, Apr 7, 8:19am
I forgot it was for a lady, so we are assuming it won't be driven too spiritedly, so I can see the logic now.
My logic now says 156 GTA, I reckon you'll understand Jazz.

trdbzr, Apr 7, 8:40am
I'd recommend a 350Z over a RX8. But if she wants something nimble and 'fun' to drive, then a MX5 is a good choice as well.

halo1636, Apr 7, 8:56am
Thanks to all for the advice Been a great help.

incar., Apr 7, 10:14am
Most lose compression between 40,000-70,000 kms. get a vehicle inspection done including a manual compression test, mechanical insurance is a must.

magicmat, Apr 7, 10:46am
I quite like them, though I figured if I was going to have to pay for V8 fuel consumption then I may as well have a V8. Though if the Mrs insisted she had to have an Rx8, I cant say I would complain if I had to 'borrow' it when it was parked behind me in the driveway.

rob_rooster, Apr 7, 10:56am
350 all day long!

savanna71, Apr 7, 11:08am
If your are hairdresser.

magicmat, Apr 7, 11:11am
Lol. shows how 'bogan' I am, I thought he was meaning "350" as in the chev engine!

neo_psy, Apr 7, 12:06pm
Why do I feel like a Tui after reading this!

bellky, Apr 7, 7:55pm
How would I know Rose!

wrong2, Apr 7, 9:12pm
couldnt have said it better

bellky, Apr 7, 9:25pm
You gotta feel sorry for those guys when you see them out with the wife in what is obviously 'her' car. She's obviously going through a mid-life crisis and still wanting to feel attractive lol, while the poor guy gets the run-around.

halo1636, Apr 7, 9:35pm
bellky wrote:
More importantly, why are you buying your wife a 'sporty' car. I'd be getting her a Falcon.

Ha ha Ive already got my SS so her having a "sporty" car who cares as for the Falcon we are NZers not Samons.