Opinions on Nissan Maxima cars please?

heidi9, Apr 6, 8:51pm
2000 ST model! fors or against!

alltorque350, Apr 6, 9:04pm
Good solid cars. No common faults that a can think of.

robbo36, Apr 6, 10:36pm
Smooth and powerful engines, (3L V6). Quite thirsty on fuel.Timing chain engine, so no cambelt They ride a bit too soft and handle corners like a whale. Quite a heavy car, but comfortable, a bit likedriving a lazy boy chair, (grandpa's like them). Front doors are heavy and the door hinges can wear out after 100k on the clock. Check play in front wheel hub assemblies. If the bearings are worn, then they are expensive and only Nissan supply them. Other than those points, not too bad, a lot of car for little money and they are quite reliable.

ceebee2, Apr 7, 12:34am
I owned an ST for several years and found them to be excellent cars. On a trip would average 7.8l/100km so certainly not thirsty. Common fault as with most coil over plug models are failing coil packs but you can now purchase aftermarket ones. If one claps out you should replace the lot.don't go to Nissan for that or it will cost you $1300.00. It has heaps of power / excellent tow vehicle.towed my 18ft Ramco no problems. Very smooth running engine.

vtecintegra, Apr 7, 1:12am
Yeah open road is fine, thirsty around town though

merv4, Apr 7, 1:22am
had less trouble with a maxima I owned for 5 years than with any car before or since

trdbzr, Apr 7, 2:56am
Those are pretty good cars. Thirsty around town, but great on the open road. Loads of space, very comfortable, doesn't take corners like a sports car, but then again, it wasn't built to be one. You can pick them up for very cheap.

greeny, Apr 7, 3:52am
Had a 2000 for eight years from new one of the best cars I have owned.The only issue I had was the battery died which I beleive cooked the alternator it was an expensive fix. It would be worth looking at the more upmarket ones as with them you have cruise control. A comfortable car to drive with good power.Can be heavy as with any 6 cyl on the gas arround town.

beblowin, Apr 7, 6:49am
1 bad fault, the front cross members rust out.

paclark, Apr 9, 6:21am
As an owner of a 2000 ST Maxima I have had all the issues already mentioned. Two coil packs replaced with used ones plus one Mass Air Flow detector replaced, apparently these are a fragile electronic component also. Had rust removed from cross member twice as they appear to rust from the inside.
Coil packs not to bad as if you get used ones ensure they have a silver dot on them as they are upgraded from the original nissan ones. If rust in the cross member ( below the radiator ) run for the hills, as it is not cheap to fix and its important as it holds the front engine mount. Get under the car with a torch and have a good look at this area before getting a 2000 Maxima.