Nissan Maxima Opinions. - Pre 2004.

morrisman1, Apr 26, 4:17am
I was impressed with the one I drove for a short time in the town. Plenty of low down grunt and automatic was fine. A friend's dad had around 8L/100km out of theirs which is good going for such a vehicle.

Thats about as much as I know about them. Someone will be along to sell you a Punto shortly.

jasongroves, Apr 26, 4:22am
Great cruiser.
I like them.
Oh and this has 'built-in twitters'.a must;)

stevexc, Apr 26, 5:08am
Have driven one.Liked it alot

debulebule, Apr 26, 5:21am
Jeez! Built in twitters! Sold. Now I'll be up with those young folk and their tradebook profiles.

Thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming! Lol, Jazz can try as much as he likes! But I simply won't drive a car that looks like it's already been in a head on crash.

2lo4ho, Apr 26, 6:36am
ive owned over 25 cars and my a33 is the longest ive ever kept a car. to be honest its great, super reliable. Ive had it 6 years and it hasnt cost me a cent apart from regular maintenance. Bought it at 130000kms and now travelled over 250000. Great car all around and cheap these days. Try and get a Ti with leather, comfy as. Towed my evo3 on a trailer from auckland to taupo too, probably not ideal but it handled it well. I may sound bias but i work on cars all day, i can honestly recommend a maxima as a solid reliable car

2lo4ho, Apr 26, 6:36am
ive owned over 25 cars and my a33 is the longest ive ever kept a car. to be honest its great, super reliable. Ive had it 6 years and it hasnt cost me a cent apart from regular maintenance. Bought it at 130000kms and now travelled over 250000. Great car all around and cheap these days. Try and get a Ti with leather, comfy as. Towed my evo3 on a trailer from auckland to taupo too, probably not ideal but it handled it well. I may sound bias but i work on cars all day, i can honestly recommend a maxima as a solid reliable car. Just check for rust on the lower front x-member (under the radiator). Common Nissan issue right across the model range

mantagsi, Apr 26, 7:32am
Had an old 1995 cefiro / maxima, a lot older than you are looking at, but apart from the odd typical nissan electric gremlin it was an absolute fantastic car, only got rid of it as my dear ole mum needed a car, so I passed it on to her, she loved it so much she kept it :) well recommended but don't get slack with the servicing, its worth looking after properly

alan1111, Apr 26, 7:21pm
Actually thinking of selling mine in next few months on here.

debulebule, Apr 26, 8:32pm
This is awesome feedback. Cheers guys. As I get older my choice of car gets more and more practical. Would never have considered these at the young dumb old age of 16. What model do you have Alan1111, also every Nissan I've had previously had had starter motor issues. Nothing major considering it seems to be the only problem that surfaces. Same for the maxima!

daryl14, Apr 27, 8:26am
I bought the SI version of this for $3500 (same colour too) about three years ago, so he's a damn good salesman at that price.
Nothing ever gone wrong with mine, apart from the remote locking fob about to die. Pretty sluggish suspension in them. Bit of torque steer if you boot it. Mine's up over 320kms now. Burns a little oil.
I do dislike the prices that nissan want for parts. And would much prefer the 04 and newer version for shape.

deesmum, Apr 27, 11:02pm
We had a 2002 ST from new. Good car but uninspiring as a drivers car with dead steering and soggy suspension. A set of firmer rear springs and better shocks all round gave a good improvement in ride and handling although I still never liked the steering. Sold last year to a family member at 130km and they are happy with it. Lovely smooth V6 engine was probably the nicest part of the car, although the interior fit and finish was OK too.

thewomble1, Apr 28, 11:33am
I have a 1997 Maxima and a 2004 Maxima. I find the 1997 model easier to drive as it easier to see the 4 corners of the car. The 2004 is a wonderful car to drive especially on the motorway. Have to watch out you don't get a ticket because both cars are so quiet and easily reach that 100kmh. Tyres cheaper for 1997 as they are 16" where as the 2004 are 17". Fuel consumption about the same.