Top Gear (UK)

magicmat, Apr 7, 10:58am
I have just finished what I assume is series 18 complete of Top Gear (UK version of course) and I have to say after watching and archiving every episode since it started as a series in its own right, it has to be the best and most entertaining car program I have ever watched. Sure the facts have gotten less since they got rid of fat 'Jason' and eventually replaced him with James May, but what a great program! The Aussies and now the Americans have tried to steal the magic but have failed epically.

Top marks top gear (UK) IMO!

esprit, Apr 7, 11:59am
Meh, it's rubbish these days. Same cringeworthy jokes and it's gone from being broadly factual, to blatantly peddling falsehoods for the sake of entertainment.

neo_psy, Apr 7, 12:03pm
I don't rely on it for much useful information, but it's a good bit of entertainment.

The US one is *OK*I think it'd be better if they changed the name.

magicmat, Apr 7, 12:25pm
Yea I agree about the name. I like a few youtube contributors for what they upload - they are much more factual than Top Gear (UK) ever will be again but dont try to copy Top Gear (UK). A few I enjoy are:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DragTimesInfo http://www.youtube.com/user/nelsonracingengines

(There are many more of course).

Though Top Gear (UK) wins hands down for entertainment.

greenwing, Apr 7, 8:12pm
I think the Topgear Sweeney car chase the other week was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a while. It was brililantly done in its stupidity, Straightfaced Clarkson and especially Hammond were hillarious.
I've also watched on the internet the actual car chase from the film, which uses the same route and it looks all the more amazing after Topgears inept attempt.
Sadly the Topgear car chase doesn't appear to be available on the internet, so I'll have to wait for the repeats so I can record.it.

grangies, Apr 7, 9:12pm

richard198, Apr 7, 10:52pm
A Spitfire engine in a blower Bentley. That's entertaining!
The supercharger housing at the front was actually an oil cooler. That's factual.
They've got both sides covered.

magicmat, Apr 7, 11:28pm
I stand corrected!

magicmat, Apr 8, 6:45am
Just watched the India special and have to say what a cool episode! Man that program rarely fails to deliver. Its making me want to do a re-watch of the US special where they drive from Florida to Louisiana (New Orleans). That US special was one of my favourites ever, very funny and full of classic moments.

If ever there was a 'dream job' those guys have it IMO!

howie69, Apr 8, 7:12pm
I watched the USA one to determine the best American pickup and found it very entertaining. They were almost as good as Clarkson, Hammond and May's

tgray, Apr 8, 7:20pm
The magic is missing from the USA top gear, because unlike the UK show, the 3 guys appear to all have exactly the same personalities.
When Jeremy Clarkson 'cracks up' laughing, you feel it's real and you 'laugh' with him. You don't get that on the USA show.

magicmat, Apr 8, 9:00pm
I agree. I have tried to watch the US version but couldnt do it. I did however manage to watch a fair bit of the Aussie version which was a bit more bearable, in part I think because the cars featured are more relevant to this end of the planet but it just doesnt have the same appeal.
I have been watching the UK version for a long time and you get familiar with the characters (ignoring the cars) and their quirks. I realise a fair bit is contrived and scripted but you cant fake the fact that underneath it all they are just 3 mates, having a laugh, pranking each other and letting the big kid inside run wild.