Pajero radiator probs

Page 1 / 2
16feb08, Apr 19, 4:23am
Can anyone offer any advice on this! 94 petrol 3 litre, radiator recently repaired, had a hole braized, everything is fine for a couple of weeks then it starts to overheat again, I look in radiator - no water! fill it up. 2 days later I had to put another 3 litres in it. I cant see any puddles under the car, or leaks in rad or hoses. so where is the water going! Also no water in the oil either.

kingfisher21, Apr 19, 4:26am
Head gasket, going out the exhaust.

16feb08, Apr 19, 4:30am
oh wow, thats bad news. is it worth fixing, or time to chuck it!

kingfisher21, Apr 19, 4:34am
Get someone to look at it, most likely head gasket but not %100. Depends on how good the rest of the vehicle is as to wether it's worth repairing.

16feb08, Apr 19, 4:50am
thanks, looks like I better put in some more overtime.

bubbles244, Apr 19, 5:01am
I had a 94 LWB 3 litre v6.biggest lemon ever.

head gaskets, leaking valve stem seals, front diff wouldn't unlock(auto hubs)

16feb08, Apr 19, 5:09am
I was actually expecting a flood of. "oh its a mitsi piece of shit" & "what did you expect, its a mitsi" replies.
But apart from being a little thirsty, its done me ok. Actually thats an understatement. jeesus it likes to drink! 550k's to 80 litres!

bubbles244, Apr 19, 5:14am
yeah.apart from the 3 litre v6 hilux surf of the day it's probably the next over fueled under powered POS out there.you could always go all Frankenstein and stick a 3 litre v6 twin turbo GTO engine in there

kingfisher21, Apr 19, 5:37am
Try a 3.5 DOHC one, it'll make your 3 litre one seem like it doesn't even use petrol :-)

16feb08, Apr 19, 6:22am
well we needed a 7 seater."im not driving a previa" says the mrs. so a pajero it would be, but shes not the one emptying her bank a/c into the petrol tank every second week ;)
and now the head gasket! . well, you know what they say, if its got tits or tires.

scoobeey, Apr 19, 10:38am
shes toast mate time 4 another engine or scrappy buga

scoobeey, Apr 19, 10:39am
get a toyo diesel:))) fk my toyo would cost me 50 buk to do 6 hundy kms !

a.woodrow, Apr 19, 10:48am
5L per 100km! that's pretty good is it a diesel starlet!

a.woodrow, Apr 19, 10:48am
5L per 100km! that's pretty good is it a diesel starlet!

eta never mind, saw it was a corolla in the other thread.

16feb08, Apr 19, 9:40pm
Is that head gasket sealer stuff that you put in the oil any good or is that just a waste of money too! I'm looking to squeeze another 12 months out of the old girl if I can so if I can do a cheap fix I'm all for that

n3d4sp3d, Apr 20, 6:28am
trade it in for a early 00's 3.2 diesel

bubbles244, Apr 20, 6:32am
It's called "Bars Stop Leak" and comes in a grey bottle with a black lid and you add it to the radiator.

I have used this once before and it is good. when the time came to actually fix the cracked head in my hilux they had to use a crow bar to pry the head off the block as it had literally glued them together.

I did about 40 000 kms on it before the rebuild

nobles, Apr 20, 6:55am
How far away is your next inorganic rubbish collection!

16feb08, Apr 20, 7:04am
here we go. cheers nobles, I knew the mitsi haters would show up ;)
Thanks for your advice everyone, I might try the stop leak stuff, might get a few more k's out her yet

16feb08, Apr 20, 7:12am
I have done a bit of investigating, and it seems that water/condensation coming from the exhaust is fine on cold starts, which my old girl does do. No water visible when running hot tho. Also I hear it cold be a heater hose leaking. Where would I look to establish if that was the case! (hoping like hell its simple still!)

franc123, Apr 20, 7:24am
Time to get the cooling system pressure tested, if you ask nicely a radiator shop might do this for free. You are stabbing in the dark at the moment.

16feb08, Apr 20, 7:36am
thanks franc, i will go looking for someone to do that tomorrow. But you are spot on. i am just stabbing in the dark

a.woodrow, Apr 20, 7:44am
Tee Kay head check will tell you what you need to know

16feb08, Apr 20, 7:59am
the google machine is telling me there is an expired trademe listing for a tee kay, and warren and brown dont have any for sale.
Any idea where I can get one and how much!

Oh. also. what is it!

franc123, Apr 20, 8:35am

Its a chemical test device thats used to check for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant, ie if the head gasket or the head itself is faulty. Basically its a container of fluid that changes colour when exposed to this gas. Again either a radiator shop or garage can do tjis test pretty quickly for you.