Does a VZ commodore have a cambelt/timing belt?

xconmboxx, Apr 20, 11:51pm
Does a VZ commodore have a cambelt/timing belt!Not really car savy :)

curlcrown, Apr 20, 11:52pm
No. They have a chain.

a.woodrow, Apr 20, 11:54pm
this ^^ (because nobody seems to believe it if they only get one response)

vtecintegra, Apr 21, 1:00am
Isn't this the model with the somewhat problematic timing chain!

Remember chain doesn't always mean it'll be good for the life of the car without any maintenance

inkapuka, Apr 21, 1:03am
does a vx have a chain!

a.woodrow, Apr 21, 1:12am
Some of the very last VZ's had the stretch problems, mainly this was the VE though.

evotime, Apr 21, 1:13am
they have 3 chains

a.woodrow, Apr 21, 1:13am
From vn to present don't have cambelts

franc123, Apr 21, 1:39am
Only Commies that used belts were the VL sixes and VN fours and that weird Opel engine that was used in those few VP Calais that came here that missed the boat to Thailand or Singapore or wherever they were going. All the rest are either chain or gear.

hondalova, Apr 21, 8:46am
A few Vr - Vs commodores have a small v6 engine with cambelts, rare though.

40wav, Apr 21, 9:03am
Gear! Really! Which models had the gear!

xs1100, Apr 21, 9:12am
and if you have a noisy chain on a vz/ve hope you have a good warranty they are at least 3k to repair

hi-ling, Apr 21, 9:21am
Vb-Vk sixes and the starfire 4 cyl was gear driven

40wav, Apr 21, 9:27am
Cool, Thanks. I never knew that. What years were they!

hi-ling, Apr 21, 9:29am
1978 thru to 1986, not many good ones left alive

40wav, Apr 21, 9:34am
Cheers, were there any problems with them! Why dont they use this method now! I did have a discussion with a Jag fanatic (who is also very knowledgable on general engineering, not just Jags) and the comment was - if you need to change head gaskets or plane theheads, or do any top end mods really, it's a huge job to alter the fitment of the gears. Obviously chain or belt is just a tensioner. I had assumed the gears would be the stuff of very high performance cars where any engine work meant a total rebuild.

thunderbolt, Apr 21, 9:58am
They are not overhead cam, so they used pushrods.

Not terribly hard to strip and reassemble.

40wav, Apr 22, 4:24am
Yeah, realised this today when I was digging post holes - the mind wanders when its not busy.
Makes sense though. So, how long could a 'normal' everyday car last with over head cams driven by gears! My guess is not long or someone would be doing it.