Frost plugs

brokebloke1, Apr 24, 6:38am
Ive got to replace frost plugs on a ford crossflow 1600, this weekend .
now the question id like answered is . ive got the option of brass or steel
which is better and do you still put a thin layer of silcon sealer on them before installing ! last ones I did was about 15 or so years back and just cant remember if you seal them.

intrade, Apr 24, 6:40am
i only used brass and you just clean the hole good and whack em innstraightno sealer.

v8_mopar, Apr 24, 6:41am
brass

bill-robinson, Apr 24, 7:19am
years ago we used STAG pipe jointing on core plugs. I have seen it for sale at engineering supply places.

brokebloke1, Apr 24, 7:36am
THATS the stuff i use to use when doing my trade, couldnt remember the name of it
thanks

realtrader1, Apr 24, 7:43am
Essentially, the trick is to check the condition of the bore where the frost plug sits, having taken care when extracting the old one so as not to scrape the bore with the extraction tool you are using.Clean the bore before driving the new one in.Sometimes I used to use some shellac if I thought the bore looked a bit suspect.Never had a new one weeping at all.

unbeatabull, Apr 24, 8:38am
I've always whacked a bit of sealant on because at the end of the day its easier to smear a lil bit of sealant on now then have to pull whatever you have to pull apart again if it starts to leak again. Yet to have one leak after replacing.

Just make sure all surfaces are clean and the hole isn't out of round, and no major corrosion/pitting etc

skull, Apr 24, 9:30am
Brass is the way to go, I whack them in turn them sideways and lever them out. Shellac the hole and bang the new ones in with a suitable sized socket.

smac, Apr 24, 9:36am
Years ago my crusty old engine machinist recommended araldite of all things. The glue that comes in two joined syringes and you mix before use. Never had a leak.

nzeva, Apr 24, 10:44am
Just done the frost plugs in my old Hillman Avenger, used brass ones and Eagle Head Gasket Shellac from Partmaster, worked a treat!

snoopy221, Apr 24, 2:15pm
Yeah stagis probaby a cut above shellac.but.
end of the day unless ya scored the face when ya extracted-it'll seal-after all it .
IS ACTUALLY A TAPERED PRESS FIT PLUG.