Replacing tyres and brakes- does the order matter?

ninya, Apr 26, 11:57pm
Hi there - I was told at my last WOF that my car will need its brakes and tyres replaced before my next WOF.I was wondering if the order of repairs matters - e.g. should I get the brakes down first, in case this affects wheel balancing done after tyres replaced!TIA, Ninya

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 12:13am
Makes no difference.

a.woodrow, Apr 27, 12:47am
If you can afford to, get them done at the same time - saves taking your wheels of twice - but other than that, no difference, as above.

kazbanz, Apr 27, 3:52am
I would probably do the brakes first only because tyres are visible as being worn and other than the clear issue of safety don't cause damage to other components when they are worn out. -pads on the other hand can score the brake disks when worn which will incurr extra costs.
-I do agree with the posters above though--better to do both jobs at once

ninya, Apr 28, 6:20am
Thanks guys :-)

unbeatabull, Apr 28, 7:28am
As far as safety is concerned, I'd do tyres first. Tyres fail and you lose braking and steering. Worst thing that happens with pads would be the linings wear out and you get some graunching noise and a slightly lower performance in the brakes (at first, obviously will end up losing brakes if you leave it)

Would be cheaper to get done at same time though as above.

ash4561, Apr 28, 9:34am
Look at the tyres then put something in the tread bit to measure how many mm of tyre to wear out before flat. Wof limit is 2mm.If less i would do tyres first or else leave a longer distance when following a car especially on a wet road. Stopping distance will be longer and you may not stop in time and smash. The brakes should squeak before they sratch the discs if there sqeaking or screaching get them done before you need the discs smoothed at another cost.

emmnaaa, Apr 28, 9:54am
would agree with the first three .Absolutely.It would depend on your budget

h2oldragon, Apr 28, 10:10pm
Have they channged the minimum depth lately!

shane.64, Apr 28, 10:19pm
As you pass the wof you have six mouths to get it fix .so you will find the tyes and brakes would be still be pritty good.So get the most out of them and leave it for 5 mouths.As they said they will last for six mouths

dent, Apr 28, 10:38pm
How do you know the tyres will still be good. They could be just on the limit of 1.5mm and pass. Would you be running those tyres for another 5 months comming in to winter.!

ninya, Apr 30, 1:51am
I am going to get them fixed asap, because I don't want to risk injuring myself or someone else.The reason I asked about the order was because I thought I'd need to go to a mechanic and a tyre shop, thus two separate visits to fix each thing.