2004 Subaru Outback Rear Noise

michaelqian, Apr 29, 9:16am
Hi all. Test drove a 2004 Subaru Outback today, 3.0L H6 model. Everything was good, low kms, interior & exterior in good condition. Only problem is, there is a "vrooom" kind of noise coming from the rear when I brake to come to a stop. The guy selling it was fairly honest and showed me the mechanics report which said "transmission noise", while others have said it is because of the right-rear tyre is a different brand and has some uneven surfaces on it. The mechanic said the only way to identify the cause is to fully pull it apart, which he said he didn't want to do. If he hasn't told me about, I would not even have picked it up. Any ideas on what it could be! I'm extremely hesitant to purchase it now, pity as otherwise it's a good vehicle. Thanks

franc123, Apr 29, 9:31am
Well lets put it this way, if it was a quick and easy fix it would have been done. Get a second opinion from a someone who knows subarus well to make sure its not a wheel bearing or driveshaft bearing thats causing the noise, maybe even go as far as swapping the tyre off the back with the spare to see if the noise goes, anything else is going to be expensive. Invoices with transmission problem written on them tend to turn peoples underwear a different colour and is often why vehicles get sold.