XR6 Turbo

willz29, May 3, 8:51am
What age or mileage would you typically need to look at turbo reconditioning! I'm looking at BA models 170KM+ Just wondering if it would be worth avoiding these and looking at a regular XR6, or if they are still a good reliable car at that stage of life. Budget is around 12k TIA

mantagsi, May 3, 8:54am
I couldnt say but since they are a big engine that doesnt need to work hard, and still mostly priced out of the hands of dickheads, they should all be tidy and I wouldn't expect a turbo rebuild until perhaps 350,000 or even way higher kms! From (somewhat limited) personal experience, if a turbo engine is cared for and fed properly, turbos seem to last forever really. Hopefully a good ford / turbo expert will have the right answer soon :)

willz29, May 3, 8:59am
Great feedback thanks Mantagsi

hijacka, May 3, 11:10am
You don't rebuild those turbos you buy a replacement CHRA, cost is around $1800-$2000 the XR6 uses the Garret gt3582R a good turbo but non rebuild-able being ball bearing. They do make some noise on spool up and shut down seeing they are ball bearing make the wizzing sound and that also has its pros over wetfloat. (they don't require as much oil, they last longer and can recover boost faster than a wet float design)Pay attention to high pitch squealing and blowing blue smoke on throttle. Put it through its paces on test drive. Even if you take the intake off and check there isn't excessive play in the turbine shaft would be better

rbcontracting, May 3, 4:45pm
I know of a couple that crapped out round the 120,000 mark. Maybe visit some ford forum pages!

rayzor14, May 4, 1:22am
Ok, can answer this as an owner of both BA and BF XR6 Turbos.
Given that you have mentioned BA as what would fit your budget you would need to budget for replacement turbo unless there is evidence of the turbo oil feed line having been replaced or the micro gauze strainer fitted from factory being removed or replaced. Turbos can and will seize otherwise. Removing the intake pipe to check play is a good bet and you can also listen carefully after shut down for excessive bearing noise.

Other common BA faults (irrespective of turbo or not) Faulty central locking actuators (check all doors to see they lock), faulty or broken heater - ensure it switches between hot and cold as the flapper shaft is prone to breakage. BA is likely to have the smaller brakes which will probably shudder like a pig. Easy fixed with replacement rotors (I use Znoelli) and pads but dont waste your time machining existing rotors.
Assuming it is auto there has been a fair bit of discussion about the need for an aftermarket tranny cooler - factory system within the radiator was prone to failure leaving you with a transmission full of water and a cooling system full of tranny fluid.

Sounds like a lot to go wrong but it is more a case of picking the right car.

Is the turbo one a better option! Drive one for a day, then switch to the non turbo and you will know!

gman35, May 4, 1:34am
"Sounds like a lot to go wrong but it is more a case of picking the right car". In my experience and that of many people I have heard , it is pure luck of the draw with any Falc/Comm.regardless of how new or tidy the vehicle is. Australia isn't exactly known for quality of design and especially assembly standards even today .

willz29, May 4, 3:06am
After reading that I'm wondering if I should stick to the non turbo version!
Raliability will be important as I plan on having this car 5-10 years.

brokebloke1, May 4, 7:30am
willz29 . we looked at a BA XR6 TURBO after talking with the salesman at a ford dealership here in CHCH we decided to buy a non turbo falcon
his opinion was " if you have the money buy a BA MK2not the first BA as turbos arnt very reliable and about $2500-$4000 to replace".

unbeatabull, May 4, 9:09am
Jeez, people still talking about the brake rotors! The amount of aftermarket rotors and pads people buy for these things, Brembo etc must be making a killing! lol

The actual problem is to do with the master cylinder pushrod clearance, there has even been a Ford TSB (Service Bulletin) on this exact matter, that a lot of people overlook and just chuck expensive rotors & pads on for no real reason.

Other then that, the BA was the one that was more problematic (as with any first model in a Ford Series), better off saving up for a BF as they ironed out a lot of problems. Yeah there is a few common problems, but luckily they are common - meaning easy to fix/replace and plenty of aftermarket options if you choose that path.

The Turbos are a great vehicle, I'd own one over an XR8 anytime. The poster who mentioned the gauze filter is correct, they get blocked up over time and can also cause low oil pressure and bring on the check oil light - they are a mission to replace (moreso on the Territory) as well but is quite a biggy if mileage is getting up. Other then that, they are relatively reliable, engine won't really give trouble.