Stripped the cambelt on my RVR auto

bigmacnz, May 5, 5:36am
There was a bummbly noise then the engine light came on then I was coasting. Looks like I've done my cambelt.
I dont think I have done any damage to the engine but I would like to hear from anyome that has had this happen to their RVR

beast9, May 5, 5:43am
yea you may have done some damage as some of them are interference motors

a.woodrow, May 5, 5:48am
Sorry bigmac, chances are likely that you have bent valves with that motor. You could always try fitting another cambelt and hope for the best, but I think it'll be needing further repairs

thunderbolt, May 5, 7:03am
Dohc engine! I would expect valve damage.

kazbanz, May 5, 7:32am
Sorry OP I wouldnt be super hopefull on the "no damage" front
but heck you have to fit a new belt anyway so no harm in trying

biddy6, May 5, 7:32am
Cam belt broke on mine a few months back, and it bent 3 valves, luckily I picked up a recon head from the local engine recon outfit for $500, .

mugenb20b, May 5, 7:38am
Have you actually removed the upper timing cover and see a stripped cambelt, or are you just guessing!

skin1235, May 5, 7:41am
may I remind you, I have a 95 4wd rvr in very good nick minus g/box ( auto ) as a shrub, which I am well willing to part with for the right inducement
motor and all running gear is excellent

phillip.weston, May 5, 9:20am
yep if the cam belt has snapped, slipped or been shredded you can just about guarantee at least 8 belt valves. Both the SOHC 16V 1.8L and DOHC 16V 2.0L engines are interference. The only one which isn't is the 91 models with the SOHC 8V 2.0L.

bigmacnz, May 5, 9:31pm
bugger

n3d4sp3d, May 6, 7:41am
is it the gdi model!

manic0077, May 6, 9:24am
u f it rite up new engine nw buddy boom boom

mugenb20b, May 6, 10:25am
Huh!

a.woodrow, May 6, 10:27am
Go to general please

bigmacnz, May 7, 1:47am
Poor mr Mac.

I know nothing of cars. he posted this thread.

all I know the car has been running perfectly. yes we redid the belts just on a year ago.

then it did this little flappy sound. engine light came on. and it just stopped!

The AA guy said it sounds like its engaging. but nothings happening.

It truly came out of no where!. some might think why fix it!but the stoopid car has sentimental value. body wise everything is in great shape. no rust.but I inherited it from my brother. and I am not ready to give it up. if that makes sense!

Also even if it costs 1-2 grand to fix.or recondition. I am truly in the belief its better the devil you know then the devil you dont.

thanks to all who answered .we cant do anything with it till the 20th. we get paid monthly. so he has time to see what its going to take to fix it!

phillip.weston, May 7, 8:52am
what year and how many kms! that will determine if it's worth fixing!

noodleman4, May 7, 10:35pm
2 Belts in these ! Maybe other drive belt(s)

bigmacnz, May 7, 10:53pm
remember I am blond and female. LOL

just over a year ago we had to do something to the "harmonic balancer" while they were at it all the belts were replaced. and they all look in good nick

it is something at the top!

the garage said get a new recon motor.then try and fix this one.and thegarage says its worth while fixing.and he is usually pretty quick to say not worth it. when it isnt.

I guess the best thing is there are SOOOO many of these RVR's around now. it shouldnt be to much of a problem . crossing all fingers and toes

it is a 1996 RVR2ltrautomatic

phillip.weston, May 7, 11:25pm
yes a '96 (still old shape) 2.0 will be the DOHC motor which is definitely interference, and definitely has two timing belts to replace (one small and one big). Perhaps the big one was replaced last time and the small one (tucked in behind the big one) was over-looked being replaced and therefore snapped and got tangled in the big belt causing that to slip or snap. Happens very often when people cut corners.