Cheaper to replace engine?

red97, May 5, 12:49am
hi all, got a car with a blown head gasket, got anothe engine lined up for around four hundred bucks, is it even worth getting the head gasket looked at by a pro or should i just do the swap! any advice appreciated.

kazbanz, May 5, 12:53am
OP --to save yaself a bunch of bloke poking sticks at ya and making fun.
To give a qualified answer we need to know.
The Make/model
The Year.
The milage.
Possibly the engine size.

Ya see in some cases you might be buying the same trouble again or it might be a car thats economical to do a head gasket on

ralphdog1, May 5, 1:09am
Most importantly you need to understand why the head gasket blew in the first place. If you don't you may end up with the new motor munted as well if it was an external to the motor reason (like an unwell radiator)

spud1991, May 5, 1:32am
Most likely new engine, headgasket is 2k plus anyway so 90% of cars its better to just replace the whole thing.

red97, May 5, 1:51am
thanks, mitsubishi mirage 1995 auto, engine is 4g13, they seem very common and cheap. the engine im looking at has no starter or alternator which seems common and claims to have had new cambelt 3k ago.

floscey, May 5, 1:54am
could be buying $400 bucks of more trouble. especially if its a rover or vectra.

red97, May 5, 1:55am
as for the cause of the problem i m not sure but when i asked my girl friend what the temp gauge normally sat on she was surprised to find out that cars had temp gauges, she was also unaware of the need to check oil and water, so i have a suspicion it had no oil or water or both for a little too long.

desmodave, May 5, 2:11am
Problem here is where is the Pro and were is the closest machine shop.

red97, May 5, 2:20am
cheers dave, this might explain why i was stopped outside your place yesterday, by the way can you put an engine in for me on wednesday, haha, should be ok i looked at you tube for some tips.

quickstitch, May 5, 2:27am
easiest way to remove the motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=feeFmQ8RPcU

red97, May 5, 2:36am
cheers for that quickstitch but with the blown head gasket i would have trouble getting up enough speed

desmodave, May 5, 2:57am
Happy tohelp will call in tomorrow.

mugenb20b, May 5, 4:14am
4G13 is a very basic motor and it's dead easy to work on. It's quicker and better to get it repaired AND get the radiator rodded out. It's going to cost a bit of money, but worth it.

If you do get a second hand motor, you won't know how good it is until it's running AND you will still want to do a cambelt, water pump and tensioner.

tonyrockyhorror, May 5, 4:21am
Depends on whether you know the person making the claims about the motor that is an unknown quantity.

red97, May 5, 4:49am
yes i see where you are coming from there, its strictly a matter of value for money at the moment.do you have any idea of a ballpark price for a head gasket fix on a 4g13!

a.woodrow, May 5, 4:57am
$800ish assuming no head work