How do u know if a car/van is Fuel Injected

Page 1 / 2
angelstarr1, May 6, 8:06pm
Someone told me that if it doesnt have a choke then its fuel injected, is this true! Cheers :-)

tigra, May 6, 8:06pm
Just look at the engine.

henderson_guy, May 6, 8:09pm
Nope. Several carbied vehicles had automatic chokes.

angelstarr1, May 6, 8:17pm
I am looking a buying a fuel injected van but when asking the person if its fuel injected he relied back with 'I think so' and I arent in his area to view as well as I wouldnt have a clue as to what to look for in the engine :(

angelstarr1, May 6, 8:18pm
Thanks for this info henderson_guy this is greatly appreciated :-)

henderson_guy, May 6, 8:21pm
What is the make, model and year of the van you are looking at!

angelstarr1, May 6, 8:22pm
Its a 1993 Mitsi Delica

henderson_guy, May 6, 8:29pm
I'm not sure on those vehicles, it may well be either. I'm sure somebody will be along soon who can tell you though.

kazbanz, May 6, 8:29pm
Angelstar--what ya do is EITHER tell the egspirts on herewhat the year make model and engine of your vehicle is and you'll get an answerOR you could google away yourself and get an answer
(Its ok Im being a smart alec ---do the first and we'll tell ya )

angelstarr1, May 6, 8:40pm
Cheers and thanks

angelstarr1, May 6, 8:47pm
So if its just a manual choke, could it still be fuel injected! Cheers!

thunderbolt, May 6, 8:50pm
It has a manual choke it has a carb for sure.

No manual choke could be either.

tonyrockyhorror, May 6, 9:09pm
Correct-a-mundo.

angelstarr1, May 6, 9:10pm
Thanks for that :-)

dunwoody, May 6, 9:18pm
Just look at the engine .if it has a carburetta, its on top of the inlet manifold , it is NOT fuel injected

thunderbolt, May 6, 9:22pm
Dont think OP knows what to look for.

Besides a CPI unit has fooled plenty of mechanics, let alone someone with no knowledge.

angelstarr1, May 6, 9:28pm
Silly when ppl don't know that it has it or not though, I mean u must get told by someone at somestage, I will investigate further. Thanks for your time, much appreciated:-)

hopie, May 6, 9:31pm
Single point injection looks like a carby to unsuspecting people.

Have a look here and match up the specs.
http://automobilio.info/en/Mitsubishi/Delica/

gizmsme, May 6, 9:43pm
Some of those had a electrojet carb fitted, horrendous POS they were, just to add to the mix

angelstarr1, May 6, 10:39pm
The reason I am wanting a fuel injected van is because u get better kms per litre of petrol, is there another option I can take on this issue plz

richardmayes, May 6, 11:02pm
That's a good theory.

Fuel injection might improve the efficiency of any given engine a few percent, but ultimately it's the engine that drinks the fuel, not whatever fuel system is feeding it.

ANY powerful (3 litres +) petrol van will drink large amounts of petrol. Any small (2 litres or less) petrol van will still get thru the gas a bit, while nevertheless being gutless as all hell on any sort of hill.

I take it you are looking at older vans, if you are trying to spot fuel-injected engined vans among the carburettored ones!

(Because if you are looking at latest-generation common rail diesel engines, yes the introduction of THAT technology makes a big difference to performance and economy!)

angelstarr1, May 6, 11:07pm
I am wanting a older van but I also want better fuel economy but I don't want a Diesel.

a.woodrow, May 6, 11:11pm
There really aren't any vans from that era that I would consider fuel efficient. What sort of usage were you needing a van for, carting stuff or kids!

angelstarr1, May 6, 11:16pm
Just one to take my grandchildren around in, they are only young ones, some say you will get this amount of kms out of a tank full of petrol and others will say that they get alot more so am a little confused as to what to get.

thunderbolt, May 6, 11:28pm
People mover ( anything less brick shaped) will acheive better fuel mileage than any 20 yr old EFI van.
Would be safer also.
Good advice there AW