Honda Odessey gearbox.

tfc3, May 14, 7:14am
Hi, Can anybody tell me if a 2004 Japanese import Odessy is CVT or conventional auto gearbox. The gear change lever is mounted on the dash left side of steering wheel. At present I am not in a position to drive the vehicle.

Thank You.

mugenb20b, May 15, 9:20am
The ones that we service at our garage have a standard 4 speed auto with a tiptronic option. I'm not sure if CVTs are used in Odysseys TBH.

thejazzpianoma, May 15, 10:46am
I think you are thinking of the previous shape one. 04 should be first of the new shape.

I am no expert on these but I think (possibly) the 2WD ones are all CVT and the 4WD ones have the 5 speed auto.

a18a, May 15, 11:08am
did odysseys EVER come in manual!

mugenb20b, May 15, 7:32pm
To the best of my knowledge, no.

tfc3, May 16, 10:35am
Thanks for then help. I have been told the Absolute comes with a 5 speed auto all others have CVT. As i plan to tow a caravan at some stage I will stay away from the odyssey. Thanks

nathanmac, May 16, 10:40am
If it's of any help, we've just bought a 2001 Ipsum.One of the reasons we went for it was because we want to be able to do some towing also.We talked with a guy (saw him in a carpark so went up to him to ask what he thought of them) and he said he had done a lot of heavy towing in the previous 6 years of ownership and couldn't talk highly enough of the car under all conditions.Just another perspective for you.

mugenb20b, May 17, 6:06am
Can I suggest that you don't tow a caravan with a Honda! Their transmissions aren't robust.

tfc3, May 18, 12:33am
Yes have given up the idea of towing a caravan with a Honda. Have towed a trailer with camping gear with a Honda Orthia and Accord, both auto's with no problems, I think the caravan is a no go.

Thanks. to all

trdbzr, May 18, 1:05am
Don't forget to fit a decent transmission cooler if you plan to do a fair bit of towing.