Ferry crossing with boat

paul271, May 15, 4:25am
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a boat in Picton, have priced up getting it brought up, but its about $1600. So was thinking about a roadtrip and bringing it home myself. I heard somewhere that its cheaper on the ferry if you are willing to just rock up and take your chances that there will be spaces available, is this correct!

martin11, May 15, 4:30am
Probably by the time you go AK to picton and back you will spend $1600 on fuel and tickets
Depends on the boat length you are up for about $700 ferry crossing prices

twink19, May 15, 5:56am
I know some one that did the crossing in the boat with the trailer strapped up under it

rob_man, May 15, 6:15am
I've heard of that method being used to get the trailer across to Waiheke.

skin1235, May 15, 6:44am
last I heard the charges are per mt combined load
shorter the drawbar the better, and if you can shrink it really small(even just for the time on the ferry) it helps

i-n-horz, May 15, 7:02am
Have had a motorcycle wheeled on-board and off by crew at no extra cost.maybe they'll load it and unload.

robotnik, May 15, 7:09am
What about sailing the boat to Auckland. That'd be a cheap option I bet!

gusthe1, May 15, 7:16am
I sold a boat from Wgtn to Nelson bout a year ago. buyer arranged with Strait Shipping for me to drop boat off at wharf in Wgtn. He picked it up at other end. no issues from my side and everyone seemed quite accustomed to the process. Was one other boat waiting.

cgvl, May 15, 7:21am
if you rock up to the ferry you will pay full price. You are better to book and pay for it via the net, that way you can choose the lowest price available. also check both ferries for prices often Bluebridge are cheaper, although they weren't, when I last caught them, as up market as Interislander but I prefer Bluebridge over Interislander.

likit, May 15, 10:07am
We purchased a car last year in Wgtn & had a friend pick it up & drop it off at ferry terminal,staff drove it on & we met it at picton,think it was called "unaccompanied vehicle".It might be worth it to see if they would put your boat on for you & you meet it in Wgtn,just have to arrange someone to take it to the terminal.

martin11, May 15, 9:50pm
You would be mad to try this across Cook Straight , the drag from the Trailer would prevent the boat getting up on the plane and the fuel useage would be heavy

40wav, May 15, 9:59pm
Well, there are some people that are mad.

robotnik, May 15, 11:21pm
The boat with trailer attached was tested on Myth Busters once.

The myth was that boaters took a boat out but couldn't seem to get any speed out of it. They called a repairman to come check it out, who realised that the trailer was still attached.

The show tested this with a 13' Boston whaler power boat. Without a trailer the boat could do 23mph. With a trailer attached the boat did 4.7mph, but remained otherwise seaworthy.

The show concluded that the myth was plausible.

fryan1962, May 15, 11:44pm
do you have photos! to prove it happened

fryan1962, May 15, 11:49pm
For Waiheke I would use floats from mussel farm. and put trailer on those tie on securely no problem
not the cook straight

martin11, May 16, 1:47am
I have lived in Marlborough for years and never heard anyone trying this across Cook Straight .Would love to see the photos of it in mid strait

elect70, May 16, 2:05am
Go to Bluebridge ferry, get it delivered toterminal& pick up at wgtn, dont need to pay aspassenger & carthen.

paul271, May 16, 4:28am
So far the better option is to get it shipped with shades transport for $1250 plus tax. Apparently the ferry people will do it unaccompanied, the cost jumps quite a bit tho depending on length. 7-8 metres is $406, 8-9 metres is $609! Big jump for another metre, guy couldnt tell me why tho. I am going to try and get down to see it next week, and if I'm keen to buy I will run a tape over it to get an exact measure, then make the call.

richardmayes, May 16, 6:28am
No doubt a 9 metre boat on trailer is a lot more hassle for the ferries to take on board than a 5 or 6 metre one.

Sailing the boat across the strait with trailer strapped on underneath sounds foolhardy in the extreme - even people with big 12 metre yachts take cook strait VERY seriously, and do everything properly.

gusthe1, May 16, 7:30am
If you are sending it unaccompanied then forget the ferries. It becomes freight. Try Strait shipping

paul271, May 16, 8:24am
Good idea, I will try them for a price

sw20, May 16, 8:34am
Not always cheaper.

When I bought my MR2 I was looking at tickets on the net, the cheapest had gone, next lot up were $208 car + adult. Decided I would just risk it and show up and pay on the day. Was $173 in person for car + adult.

likit, May 16, 9:28am
Wrong,read my thread above,we did it with The Interislander,hassle free.