Ford falcon Futura AU2 stationwagon 1999-2004 help

Page 2 / 2
jason18, May 14, 9:19pm
I have an AU 99 Falcon wagon. Rust is a little problem. They have little problems but nothing to worry about (except rust) Mine is always towing 1.8ton cherry picker. I tow to taumaranui (sp) Tokoroa, Huntly etc from Hamilton and does it with ease. Mine cost me 4k and was a bargain compared to other cars I looked at for towing. Its cost me next to nothing to maintain. I can fit a 3m length of billboard in it and close the tail gate!

geminidragon, May 14, 9:40pm
the stationwagons are huge inside i missmine for loading up the family and stuff in ,

gasngo2, May 14, 10:59pm
we have an AU 3 wagon and love it,its pretty good on gas when towing the race car to taupo etc,very comfortable on long drives,heaps of room.had no issues with it so far.may look in to getting a trans cooler soon.

chris_051, May 14, 11:01pm
You have to rermember 2nd is geared for around 140kmh at the cut out and 3rd about 200kmh (even though non XRs are limited to 180kmh). So dropping down to second for big hills like Bombay, Ngauranga Gorge, Taihape deviation isn't a big deal. You put that gearing behind any other 6 cylinder or turbo diesel and see how well it tows a load lol (my guess, not very well). I've had 2.1ish tonne behind my AU sedan and EF wagon without any stability issues, maybe old mate above didn't load his trailer correctly.

jason18, May 15, 12:51am
I found the ones with leaf springs way better than IRS for towing.

whqqsh, May 15, 4:05am
agree, we had a Commodore wagon previously & when going away Id have to stack things carefully to allow enough room to see backwards with the rearview mirror, first time out with the Falcon the load hardly appeared above the usual back seat height

twink19, May 15, 5:55am
my one has done 298000km, used for towing, still going great, had larger oil cooler for gear box from new