Forester or Legacy?

maxi27, May 12, 12:49am
I can not decide between the Legacy and the Forester as I need a 4WD, can someone please tell me which is the better of the two!and is the 2litre engine gutless compared to the 2.5! I have only ever had an early model2.5litre. Thanks

mugenb20b, May 12, 12:54am
Get the Forester, 2000+ model. It has a higher ground clearance than the Legacy. Its 2.5 motor has good torque and reasonable power, the 2.0 litre isn't far behind IMO.

maxi27, May 12, 1:26am
Thanks mugenb20b but can you tell me does this include the turbo model!

motorboy2011, May 12, 2:13am
it will. if its got a bonnet scoop, its turbo.

maxi27, May 12, 4:33am
I do realise it has a scoop if its a turbo.what I want to know is does the turbo give problems in the forester.
Thanks

mugenb20b, May 12, 4:49am
The 2.0 litre turbo is a Legacy / Impreza WRX motor. They are good if well looked after and if the cooling system is in good order. The most common problem with older Subaru engines are oil leaks.

A few things you need to consider when buying a turbo car:

1. Insurance
2. Cost of repairs may be slightly higher due to limited access to the engine. (Exhausts, piping, oil and coolant lines, intercooler in the way, etc)
3. Fuel economy
4. Turbo engine puts more load on the driveline, so brakes, clutch, transmission, diffs, tyres, etc will wear out quicker.

noswalg, May 12, 4:49am
have you looked at 3.0Ltr outbacks! They're quite capable in the rough stuff and performance is pretty good.

mugenb20b, May 12, 4:49am
The turbo model.in regards to what! Power or ground clearance!

maxi27, May 12, 5:14am
3 litres are to expensive for me to run and regarding the turbo forester I think I will give it a miss.thankyou mugenb20b for all your input I really appreciate it thanks! I think I will stick to non turbo's.
Thanks again.

pico42, May 12, 6:41am
Why do you need the 4WD for if it is still in a car!

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:36pm
I'm not answering on OP's behalf, but 4wd in a car is handy if you have muddy or steep driveways, if you drive on gravel roads and beaches, and a lot of vets use 4wd cars when they do work on farms (although, some use utes and proper 4wds).

gcgcgc2, May 12, 10:16pm
I own a Legacy B4 and i think as 'mugenb20b' pointed out above, do consider the ground clearance issue. I am in Auckland and do a lot of driving in the city and every time when i go over a bump (or underground car park entrance), i always ask myself if my car can make it without the bumper coming off. Mind you, my car is stock standard.

I had it for 5 years, and i take it to winger to have it served every 6 months. It had a few minor issues, but nothing major. If the previous owner took good care of it, then it should be fine. Good luck!

gcgcgc2, May 12, 10:27pm
Just a few more tips for buying a car;

1. Do consider cars with no modifications - My personal view is that, car manufacturer spent millions on R&D to figure out what parts should be used. Unless you believe your own research and knowledge is superior, perhaps it makes sense to purchase a stock standard car.

2. Look for service history - preferably by reputable car dealers

3. Look for the issuer of WOF - was it issued by AA / VTNZ or Bob down the road!

4. Do a security check online - This is particularly important if you are buying privately.

There are a lot of genuine/well maintained high performance car out there, just take your time and avoid purchasing a lemon.

usdefault, May 12, 11:00pm
What a load of tosh. Manufacturers often make exhausts, air intake pipes and ECU's that restrict performance on purpose.

If somebody wants to unleash a few more ponies in a sensible manner it doesn't all of a sudden make the car a lemon.

gcgcgc2, May 12, 11:04pm
I did not in any way implied or stated that a car with modification is a lemon.

Like i have said above, there are plenty of genuine/well maintained high performance car out there.

modie61, May 12, 11:09pm
Neither in my opinion.

skiff1, May 13, 2:32am
just to beat him, golf gti, alpha romeo, or clapped out saab. Did i miss any thing Jaz!