If we once built cars

Page 1 / 2
gunna-1, May 8, 10:34pm
In this country like the treka, would there be anything stoping us from doing it again!

sifty, May 8, 10:34pm
yes, noboby would want one.

a.woodrow, May 8, 10:34pm
You can build anything you like. Road registration is a different matter

saxman99, May 8, 10:41pm
I have often wondered why we don't have a truly NZ designed & built mass-produced car.Cost I guess.

gunna-1, May 8, 10:49pm
I was thinking of building a tank with a flathead v8 something along the lines of a ute/truck how they use to build them with leather seats, bakelight knobs and steering wheel, round steel glass headlights, no modern aerodynamics or anything, i was thinking of maby a small high compression caberator motor thats enginered for economy without resorting to fule injection or any other modern technoligy.

mm12345, May 8, 10:59pm
I'm wondering if the Central Committee for Car Design would be seeking public input. Probably not a good idea, as posters in this forum seem to believe that the ideal car is anything from a massive yank automobile with basic design concept about (or over) 70 years old, through to incredibly complex high tech things packed with electronics but with the design life of an i-thing.
The result of compromise is that you can end up with the worst of all worlds.

gunna-1, May 8, 11:01pm
Who,s the Central Committee for Car Design! i was thinking of a no noncence nothing high teck blast from the past.

smac, May 8, 11:06pm
We can't compete with the volume manufacturers, so niche market stuff will be the limit:

http://exocet.co.nz/ http://www.hulmesupercars.com/ http://www.bxv.co.nz/

gunna-1, May 8, 11:13pm
I was thinking of something small scale rather than a mass prodution, and doing it more for passion than for profet.

rsr72, May 8, 11:38pm
And as we once had inflicted upon us.

hamishcookie, May 8, 11:39pm

bellky, May 8, 11:40pm
I used to think like that. You'll run out of money fast imo sorry to say.

mm12345, May 9, 12:04am
Perfect - except it's effing well green.Green is a terrible colour for cars, it's the colour of swamp-slime, and fresh cow-dung, it's symbolic of unripeness, naivety, nausea, andthe contrast makes red rust stains show up.They depreciate faster than any other colour. Take a good look around any car park - and the worst maintained and mangiest looking examples of every car model are green.Hideous.

hamishcookie, May 9, 12:12am
Hey Ive got a green car lol

sifty, May 9, 12:13am
I wouldn't mind a BRG E type, MG, Aston, Lotus, Healey Bristol or Cooper.

richardmayes, May 9, 1:00am
Have any of those Hulme Supercars been built yet! So far they have that one prototype and a website full of the most HIDEOUS spelling and grammatical errors.

They're not doing much to inspire confidence that New Zealanders can make & sell low-volume exotic cars. let alone sensible economic cars!

richardmayes, May 9, 1:05am
I reckon that if somebody could build Fibrefab Jamaicans with a new NZ-made chassis that could take either a Honda S2000 engine, a Nissan RB engine, a Coon straight six or some sort of V8, then THAT would be a car he would probably have no difficulty in selling a few of.

nightboss, May 9, 1:14am
But with the recent give way law changes you will get to go first at allintersections, the green car has right of way.

martin11, May 9, 2:10am
We did once in Nelson . They were rubbish

foxdonut, May 9, 2:22am
You're welcome to try, but if AutoVAZ can't do it in Russia, I don't like your chances in NZ.

http://themoscownews.com/business/20120417/189639979.html

foxdonut, May 9, 2:24am
No. The engine changed three times and there was a lot of talk, but no car.

Mostly because it wasn't going to be able to compete with the equally pie in the sky Caparro T1 or JOSS.

elect70, May 9, 3:54am
Just remake old fordjailbar

morrisjvan, May 9, 7:06am
unfortunately labour costs too high, population too low,and bureaucracy too unforgiving.

quater, May 9, 7:29am
You would need to build 10 just to crash. then another 10 to crash after fixing all the problems.

nicolaas3, May 9, 7:37am
Completely possible from a technical point of view - get compliance for it as a LVV(low volume vehicle)
All hot rods of any description on NZ roads comply with the specs required.
Just don't build more than 200 per year (or 500 I forget)
Surprisingly pragmatic rules and no crash testing required.

Commercially though its another story.