Nissan Safari TD42 non turbo, injector pump ?

whosyadaddy_26, Apr 3, 2:15am
please.
Have just changed injector pump and although the wagon is driving well and throttling up normally, the idle tends to surge ie. its idling under 1000rpm then racing up to 1500rpm+ then dropping back down then up again,ect.
The pump just installed is clean was recond 6 mth ago has same model num as mine, all bled prop ect new diesel filter, anyone ever had a similar problem after changing injector pump!

mm12345, Apr 3, 3:37am
Probable:
Yes I've had exactly that problem, and it was because I thought I'd bled it properly, but I hadn't.You need to pump a lot of diesel though - perhaps 1/2 litre or more.Have the bleeder on the pump almost closed, so you get a bit of pressure in the system when you pump so any bubbles coming through are easily seen.It's a two person job - you need someone to operate the pump while you're looking at the diesel coming through.

Possible:
You've got an air leak somewhere else.Common problem - especially if you've just changed the fuel filter is the nylon bleed valve at the top of the filter / hand pump housing.Before you open the injector pump bleeder, pump the pressure up by hand - to get as much pressure in the system as possible between filter and injector pump.Check that bleed valve to see if there's a trace of seepage - as if even a trace of diesel can get out, then air will get sucked in.Check hoses from filter to injector pump, banjo fitting at top of pump etc. Get everything clean first - so you can see what's happening.

Unlikely:
Your near new recond pump is rooted.Hope not, but always possible.
You set the pump timing to original using the timing score marks, and you did line up the "z"s in the timing gear perfectly!The pumps tend to rotate when you're tightening the bolts, and the z's might look aligned before you slide everything in place, but because the gears are helical cut, it's easy to be one tooth out.