Mini needs new motor

Page 1 / 3
wrxnz1, May 17, 5:11am
where do i start looking wreckers! trademehas 4 motors listed is there a place that deals in minis that would have 1!
thanks in advance

mantagsi, May 17, 5:16am

wrxnz1, May 17, 5:20am
thanks will get in contact with them see how much there motors are

smac, May 17, 5:30am
Lee's great but is in Ackld.

Best place to start will be your local club. They're pretty active, and there will be numerous bearded friendly guys with numerous engines tucked away under benches. Bound to be something to fit your need/budget.

wrxnz1, May 17, 5:39am
awsome cheers smac

movnon, May 17, 5:42am
how much do you know about minis! I spent years working on minges & eleven hungrees in general workshops, ok if you have the gearexperience & patience otherwise dont go there.

jmma, May 17, 5:49am
You only need a 1/2 inch spanner and a hammer, easy as motors to do, go for it.

wrxnz1, May 17, 5:50am
not alot about minis know abit about cars in general and do my own repairs etci didnt think replacing a mini motor would be that hard but i guess i was wrong lol still be cheaper for me to source a motor than getting mechanics to do it

wrxnz1, May 17, 5:53am
also motor is still running bottom end started knocking todaythrow motor away or try rebuild it and sell it!

attitudedesignz, May 17, 5:54am
Huh!

Pretty sure smac will agree when i say there's nothing hard 'bout Mini motors.

The only things OP "may" have an issue with is. The "C" clip (retainer) holding flywheel on, if not in correct place during dis-assembly it will drop down and the flywheel AIN'T coming off. The other issue, tho' not a biggie is doing a by-pass hose with head on.

attitudedesignz, May 17, 5:56am
Not hard at all mate, give it a go.

wrxnz1, May 17, 5:59am
cool thanks for the info good to know if i rebuild it

attitudedesignz, May 17, 6:01am
Get yourself a Haynes manual & all the little tips & tricks are in there mate.

wrxnz1, May 17, 6:04am
great help thankyou attitude

whqqsh, May 17, 6:20am
we had a hell of job finding a runner, put in a wanted ad with the proviso that we must be able to hear it running. Got all sorts of time wasters, one guy had a 'good runner' that when we got there had no carb, no dizzy, car sitting on lawn for years but no bonnet (so water down every opening) & reckoned he could get it going if we waited 1/2 an hour (we didnt),
another turkey had a mint motor in a rusty body up in Waipu (we're in Aucks) so we drove 2 hours to find the car did start but by the time Id got to the end of the farm driveway & halfway back Id laid a smokescreen a battleship would be proud of.
In the end we bought an unfinished project with a fresh reco motor & sold off the rest to recoup some dollars

wrxnz1, May 17, 6:40am
ok so best to see the motor running first good advice thanks

movnon, May 17, 7:01am
what a hero! so you get the flywheel nut off with 1/2 spanner, smack the flywheel with a big hammer & it pops off without bending the crank! ohh I forgot the starter has 9/16 bolts. what a man haha

movnon, May 17, 7:03am
I didnt say they were hard to do, but you need to know what too do.

attitudedesignz, May 17, 7:15am
Yeah yeah ok lol. The big one for beginners is that damn C clip i reckon.

foxdonut, May 17, 7:25am
If you're going to re-engine it, you might as well do it proper and stick a Toyota 2EFTE in there.

snoopy221, May 17, 7:26am
bottom end started knocking today throw motor away or try rebuild it

mosta da minges had an oil pressure gauge- AND they were,nt prone to doin bearings-dollar 4 dollar-i'd say fang it out and rebuild it.
[I'D be checkin it's oil pressure -etc FIRST]

floscey, May 17, 8:01am
cheaper to rebuild in the end.Good luck finding a cheap runner. what size 850 1000 1300 !

fordcrzy, May 17, 8:05am
hahahaha "bearded friendly guys"i like it. sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson would say

jmma, May 17, 8:11am
7'16 spanner may also be needed (o: hammer and cold chisel for flywheel nut (o: and yes, whack flywheel through starter hole, I'm Superman,

movnon, May 17, 8:12am
good onya mate!