Oil Changers. Are they any good for a basic service

Page 1 / 2
hippygal, May 16, 7:20am
Are they any good for a basic service.

unbeatabull, May 16, 7:24am
No. Stay away from them, Midas, Pit Stop etc

thunderbolt, May 16, 7:36am
A basic oil and filter change is better than nothing, but don't make the mistake of thinking you are servicing your car to avoid breakdowns etc.

hippygal, May 16, 7:39am
All I am after is the oil change that's all.

moosie_21, May 16, 8:46am
Stay away from chains. Like the Warehouse, would you there for a quality product! No.

mothergoose_nz, May 16, 8:50am
they dont muck around.fast service if you cant do it yourself.it is an oil change service like they say not a service centre

clark20, May 16, 9:06am
An oil change does make count as a service, its an oil change. They are OK for an oil change.

msigg, May 16, 9:13am
Yes they are fine.

busdriverman, May 16, 9:15am
So would you describe this an 'oil change' or a 'service' ! Change oil, change oil filter, change fuel filter, check oil levels in both diffs, transmission & transfer case, top up brake fluid, grease all grease nipples, wash windscreen & rear window, check tyre & adjust pressures, wash down underside of vehicle. And provide free coffee.Just wondering about definitions here.

msigg, May 16, 9:19am
I'd say its a service,could have done the air filter as well.

unbeatabull, May 16, 9:21am
Its about half a service.

All suspension joints should also get checked, spark plugs & leads checked, bearings etc checked for play/noise, brake pad levels etc

clark20, May 16, 9:27am
And don't forget the radiator etc

tonyrockyhorror, May 16, 9:29am
When is a "Full Service" not a "Full Service"!
When it's a $74.95 "Oilchangers" "Full Service".
http://oilchangers.co.nz/services/oilFull
Visual inspection of brake fluid level (but only on transparent reservoirs - we wouldn't want to have to go to all that hassle of actually popping the top off!)

I'd hate to know what their 'basic service' encompasses. or is this like the fast food joints where the smallest drink is called 'regular'!

tonyrockyhorror, May 16, 9:32am
That would be called a oil/filter & fluids. But there wouldn't be any 'washing down the underside'.

busdriverman, May 16, 9:33am
Yeah they checked the air filter too. No plugs or leads on a diesel though, but i didn't mention that. OK so it's half a service then. But I was happy with how Oil Changers did what I wanted them to do. Wheels bearings and brake pad wear got checked at WOF time anyway.

msigg, May 16, 9:36am
So long as the customer is happy. Thats the main thing.

robotnik, May 16, 9:40am
Do they suck the oil out of the dipstick hole to change the oil! Jiffy Lube in the USA does this. A practice than is not recommended.

tigra, May 16, 9:41am
All good. Offered me an air filter too which I accepted. Didnt accept their offer of an Auto service tho.If you check supermarket docketsyou can get it for $67.50 (not air filter)

unbeatabull, May 16, 9:44am
Tonys tyres is good actually, free puncture repairs. Even though I can do it myself for free at work, some days you just can't be bothered! lol

eagles9999, May 16, 10:04am
I would echo that #22.Comes in very handy.Great Service too.

horsepower7, May 16, 10:09am
we use oil changes for our trade cars at work, havnt had a problem yet, but proberly wouldnt take my personal car. as for puncture repairs,(and everythingelse, wheel alinment etc) i use mag and turbo ;-)

franc123, May 16, 10:20am
LMAO! Would have to agree, getting a stinky old Estima in the door with all three of those stickers on the back is run and go hide in the dunny territory.

kazbanz, May 17, 12:59am
OP-the way I see it is that an oil change is an oil change but theres better places to go for an il change

ninja_man, May 17, 1:52am
pretty dam hard to stuff up an oil change imo. They say they use valvaline oil which is ok.

tnt423, May 17, 2:25am
They use Caltex oils, Havoline, I got them to do my oil change when the filters needed doing, I normally make a mess changing the filters and I use Delo400 any way.