VW Golf Service - Christchurch

justover, Apr 12, 9:42pm
I have to get my wifes VW serviced for the warranty every 6 months.Is it really necessary to take it to Miles and pay $400 for what seems like to me a pretty straight forward process for any good mechanic!Any suggestions where I could get it serviced by a good mechanic at a more reasonable price or do I suck it up and take it into Miles. Thanks.

intrade, Apr 12, 9:52pm
if you got a mechanical warranty then you got to take it to there authorised places only or the warranty will be void when it does brake down.

tmenz, Apr 12, 10:55pm
It's what they call 'The Short and Curlies' warranty.

supernova2, Apr 12, 11:09pm
Is this a new car warranty or a mechanical warranty!Find out from the warranty company who is authorised to do the service.I've often wondered what happens if i buy a new car and there is no local dealer.Say I buy an Audi from the dealer in Auckland but i live in Masterton - do I have to drive back to Aucks every 6 months!

carmedic, Apr 12, 11:16pm
The vast majority of warranty's (including new car) will allow any gst registered MTA member to service the vehicle.
They may however stipulate who can and cant carry out repairs under said warranty.

jasongroves, Apr 12, 11:33pm
Yep. my mother bought a nearly new car from a dealer and assumed from the wording in the warranty that she had to take it back to the place of purchase for servicing etc.told her to contact warranty company. She was told that as long as approved parts and an MTA registered workshop did the work, no worries. Saves her a fortune.

jasongroves, Apr 12, 11:40pm
Oh, and the service book MUST be stamped by the approved workshop when serviced, along with details of work carried out.
But as mentioned above, contact the warranty supplier:)

justover, Apr 12, 11:45pm
I got the car from Paul Kelly naturally they want you to take it back to there service centre.the warranty is held with Vero.It doesnt stipulate where it needs to go but as long as the detailed work is carried out and you can prove the work has been done.

jasongroves, Apr 12, 11:54pm
Its worth ringing Vero to be 100% sure.
It would be a right pain if a warranty claim further down he track was denied due to something silly like an unapproved oil filter was used.

justover, Apr 13, 12:06am
Yeah same thing I have to get the book stamped.Ill give them a call and see what is required. Thanks for the advice.

pauloc, Apr 13, 5:10am
Try Volkspower on Tuam Street.
However I would not recommend the guy on Disraeli street

stevo2, Apr 13, 6:15am
Do you mean "IF" it breaks down!

dent, Apr 13, 7:13am
I rember a little while ago the dealers got taken over the hot cols for trying to make people get there vehicle serviced at the dealership. It has not been deemed that they cant make you and as long as its serviced at a MTA approved workshop then they cant back out on your warranty.

hotrodtodd1, Apr 13, 10:55am
I preferred Miles Continental to Volkspower.

Bought a new LF plastic grill on a W8 Passat:
Miles $30 (brand new)
Volkspower $90 (second hand)

And Volkspower got me a pair of tyres from Beaurepaires for a wof and charged me $50 more per tyre than I paid for the last pair when I went in myself.

s.c, Apr 14, 12:38am
There's a guy a pebbleton that looks after European Marksautos good prices

shire2011, Apr 14, 1:31am
are you sure its 6monthly! normally its 1yr and 15000km for petrol and 1year and 10,000km for diesel and as long as garage is mta approved you can go anywhere, legally they cant lock you into using only a vw dealer for a simple service