Automatic gearbox slipping - best next steps?

heavydee, Apr 11, 4:44am
Hi, the missus has an automatic 1997 Mazda Familia that is slipping before finding gear - mostly only in first.

I've already spoken to one shop about it and he's said I could try a flush / filter service for $300 - no guarantees but might solve it, a second hand box and flush for about $800 or a full recondition for $1200-1600 in order of cheapest to most expensive.

I don't have a lot of experience with automatics so I'm hoping someone could give me some advice.If it's already slipping does that mean it's too late for the flush option!I don't want to spend more than we need to but I'd rather not waste money on the flush if we're going to have replace or fix the box later on anyway.Cheers

msigg, Apr 11, 5:07am
Sell it and put the monies towards a better car.

petermcg, Apr 11, 5:21am
Hey make sure there is enough fluid in it, it must be checked with the engine running at idle.

elect70, Apr 12, 3:57am
Fibrediscswill be well worn by now, they can do acheapiefix by just dissasembly & putting newfibres in . I know , it was done for a lot of jap imports & dealer made surebuyer bought a warranty .

ceebee2, Apr 13, 11:35pm
Dont bother with flush as it will be a waste on $$$, either fit second hand (Warrantied) gearbox from a wrecker or go to Picka part and rip one out for low $$

ceebee2, Apr 13, 11:39pm
Try here for prices Trade me #s
Auction # 464988415 , 465338845 or try MAZSPARES, these guys are really helpful.they should have a fitting service as well.