Austin motor

Page 2 / 3
realtrader1, May 30, 9:32am
I will NEVER defend a 1750 Maxi but as terrible as they may have been, they were never as bad as your one which (maybe) had tuning issues that needed to be sorted out.

mgmad, May 30, 9:33am
Ever thought of driving accordingly! 1300s are really not that slow all things considered, they have pretty good brakes and changing lanes quickly, WTH! In actual fact they're not that much slower than 90% of the cars on the road, only when you start comparing the top spec cars do you find much difference.

supernova2, May 30, 9:53am
I had a 1750HL Maxi and remember a side by side race with a lotus cortina on the southern motorway one saturday afternoon.The Cortina cheated and turned off.So don't say the maxi was slow.I wouldn't say a 1300 was slow either, sure it ain't a fancy jap twincam turbo rocket but the 1300 gets along without any drama around town.

granada, May 30, 10:13am
Agree 100 %

jmma, May 30, 10:16am

gizmsme, May 30, 10:20am
I always thought it had something to do with the driving position.When in the drivers seat it feels like you are sitting to the side of the steering wheel which creates the illusion the car is driving sideways.
This being the case all of those mentioned deserve the name land crab!

jmma, May 30, 10:22am
This is why they are called Landcrabs (o:

carclan, May 30, 11:04am
Don't get involved with crap like this.

snoopy221, May 30, 12:29pm
Sheesh 11/1300 hundies areROAD LICE
-K

They haven't GROWN 2 Land Crab status

strobo, May 30, 3:59pm
From memory the" Land Crab "as was affectionately known specific for the Bmc 1800because it had the widerbody or platform chassis than the others ! hence " land crab." thats why it wasdifferent from the rest of that pommy stuff. If the" land crab" was mentioned in my day most knew it was the 18oo BMCwe were talking about.& not the others. so far as i know ! lol but then as ya saythey shared design & lack of speed.

strobo, May 30, 4:09pm
"uniparts"in the red & blue parts boxes used common parts acrosss the range, yea righttho .them were the days lol. I should know as i started my motor trade apprenticeship in the Austin /Morris division.

strobo, May 30, 4:31pm
#31I see jmmaabove has got it right , this is the one (good link )
http://www.landcrab.net/

snoopy221, May 30, 6:00pm
Me damn shame we just can't say strong bros
Back in the day they WERE the ming/lice/crab parts fullas

pge, May 30, 11:43pm
Perfec.

splodge6, May 31, 2:30am
There was actually a 1500cc version as well. When i worked for NZMC in 1976 a crate of 1500cc engines came in at the Petone assembly plant. These were bought by the staff to put in their 1750 Maxi's. Spare engines, try some of the classic dealers like McQuiness Classics. Roy may have some leads.

tractor9, May 31, 8:24am
I find it both amusing and interesting that there are so many comments like this one , mostly made be people who have never driven these cars. If they ever have the opportunity, take a 1300GT for a spin. These were very peppy and a lot of fun to drive. As for the accelerating, braking etc etc,it is said over and over that we are bloody terrible drivers, maybe a little more patience and care is in order. This is not a dig at you Peter148, I just used your quote. I drive an old car comparable in cc/hp rating and the same vintage daily with no problems in commuter traffic. Sorry to hijack thread, and good luck with your engine. IMO, get it rebuilt if the car is tidy.

richardmayes, May 31, 9:26am
[PS: Oh and if you ever get an opportunity to go for a ride in a manual BMC 1300 driven by someone who really knows how to drive, take it -Fast driving is a LOT more fun when you're not doing it in a "fast" car.]

ema1, May 31, 9:33am
Ha ha Perfec Rodney, Just like a Reliant Robin with Trotters 2nd Hand Traders on the sides. Eh Boycee. Great program .All Fools And Horses.

supernova2, May 31, 10:09am
Who on earth would have thought an 1800 would be a good thing to convert to a camper!Mind you when you think back to that period of time what else was there to use!I would have thought the hydrospastic suspension on the 1800 would have a fit with all that weight on the back wheels, it would be on the bump stops at the back and about half a meter high at the front, but it looks almost ok in the pics.

strobo, May 31, 10:23am
He hewhat a hOOtlolgoshwhy would ya !Definately unique.

ladyange, Jun 1, 7:33am
You should try strongs bros north shore they still carry most partsfor 1300 & other bmc cars 094448999 & the guy there very helpful

socram, Jun 1, 2:19pm
Just for the record, the 2 door Allegro with the 1750 twin carb hi-line Maxi engine (The Equipe) was a genuine 100mph car and had better torque figures than any other 4 cylinder car in its class.
I sprinted mine in the UK and had my first ever race in it, at Pukekohe - and did not finish last.

nicolaas3, Jun 1, 8:06pm
Nothing wrong with a land crab - apart from being very awkwardly built and butt ugly.

I fondly recall an epic ski trip to Mt Ruapehu in my mates one, 5 of us in it, we raced a Fiat 124 neck and neck the whole way down. The Fiat could not get away from us.

First mainstream car in NZ with 5spd gearbox!

mrfxit, Jun 1, 8:16pm
WAY back in the day . many years ago .
I had the pleasure of driving a brand new 1972 Mini 1000 (approx 50miles on the clock). around Taranaki for the day & night.
Nice car & compared to others of a similar engine size, wasn't slow even with 3 ppl in it.

strobo, Jun 1, 8:43pm
#51 heheI like that ! ( way back in the day many years ago ) !, The primary gear "whine"though wasenough to drive one insane lol , Look around in those dayseveryMake & Modelof car you could nameprob 20 at the most & that was it. Most top tunes were the cyl head off&a decoke /valve grind ,infact very few now have a valve refacing machinein their workshop, almost unheard off , sincethe intro of unleaded fuel.Thetappet adgustments on all those pommy front trans drives were a breeze , cover off , chuck in top gear, park brake off , spark plugs out ,then nudge or roll car back & forth on the end of ya knee caps while adjusting the tappets , no back strain all right there in ya face lol .Im not a big fan of pommy cars or trucks to be honest just happened to work on them.Howeverin the pommy lotIhave only ever owned a Wolsely 24/806cyl Mowog / Aseries 1 landrover, &aStandard 10