Subaru Legacy 1995 - Where is the starter motor?

sandra_t, Jun 28, 3:43am
Hi all.could someone please tell me where the starter motor is located on a subaru legacy 1995! I am trying to determine if it is the brushes or solenoids that need replacing.if at all it is either of them! Trying to save money and eliminate problems myself before i take it to a mechanic!

happylad3, Jun 28, 4:00am
Looking at the motor from the front, it's at the back right had side on the top of the gearbox. If it's turbo, younwill need to remove the intercooler, and it's under that

andrea_w, Jun 28, 4:00am
No offense but even if you diagnose the problem, the mechanic is still going to need to spend time diagnosing the problem himself.

Short of stripping the starter yourself, how will YOU know exactly where the fault is!

sandra_t, Jun 28, 4:29am
thanks! i have been googling for a few days and could find anything! maybe i didnt pop in the correct keywords.thanks again!

pierced1, Jun 28, 6:41am
Just because i havent used the link for a while. http://www.lmgtfy.com/!q=where+is+the+starter+motor+on+a+subaru+legacy ;-)

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 6:45am
I'm a bit surprised that you can diagnose starter motor problems, but unable to find it in the engine bay.

sandra_t, Jun 29, 1:16am
Well i have been advised by friends that it could possibly be the starter motor.but because they have not owned a subaru i guess the engine is different to others.and as another person who posted advice said that if i have a turbo (which i do) then it would be under the intercooler.

andrea_w, Jun 29, 1:17am
.so once you find it, how do you plan to diagnose the problem!

johnf_456, Jun 30, 8:45am
Well said, you gotta learn some how. You will not learn by others doing it for you, my advice is to find a mate or a neighbor who is car savy and get them to guide you. That way its done properly and you learn how its done, youtube is another good source of instruction on how to do various things.

phillip.weston, Jun 30, 10:39pm
possibly the ONE thing Subarus are good for - their good location of starter motors. So easy to get to (usually).

jokerboss, Jul 1, 2:53am
not on a TT :/

sandra_t, Aug 22, 11:14am
thanks andy! you got my thoughts down to a tee! cheers